Thread: Radiator Issue

Radiator Issue

I know this is a no no. I normally fill up the trackie with distilled water however the last couple of days I did it with just tap water.

Pulled apart the radiator and brown water came out. I assume that's corrosion of some sort with the metal and the water.

What is the best solution to use (ie just distilled water?) after I flush it. And what flushing solutions do you guys recommend?

I run a non glycerol based conditioner and only change it to distilled water come race days.
    I was very surprised just how much corrosion was in the steel pipes and radiator of ex race motor in the FZ I rebuilt way back when
    lots of electrolysis happening
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

What do you mean by non glycerol based conditioner??

I think you boys mean glycol (ethylene)
    Unless your giving your cooling systems medicine

I've haven't had any problems with distilled water. I've only changed once so far in the middle of the year. Probably due again now but still looks ok
    Last edited by senator8; 19-11-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

I run Water Wetter....All good Shops sell it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QeP_FWmDusc

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    What do you mean by non glycerol based conditioner??
    DOH!
    yep what Jamie said lol

So water wetter and distilled water??

Supercheap etc carry them I assume?

Just distilled (or demineralised) water is fine - no need for additives, which aren't allowed for racing anyway (St George is strictly 'water ONLY').

You can get demineralised water from Woolies or Coles (ironing section, for use in household irons so they don't block up with little mineral grains after steaming). Or bigger bottles are available at Bunnings etc, or Supercheap etc.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

This is the stuff I use for ride days between races
    PB200505.jpg PB200507.jpg

I can find water wetter in Aus but can't find any stores that sell Maxima stuff

If you're not using it for racing, but you insist on running something other than distilled water between race meets, just use regular coolant. There's no particular need for fancy stuff at a track day. Or if you care about your fellow track-day punters, just use some Penrite Sin Race coolant (glycol free). But I can't recommend distilled/demineralised water enough! You can dump it out after years and there's no rust or discolouration at all - it's still clear, clean water. The only reason to use coolant would be for you poor people in Canberra that have to worry about breaking water pumps when the water freezes in the engine before a day at Wakey......

Water Wetter is bad, m'kay. I've looked into it in-depth before; essentially it gums up your engine with nasty, sludgy deposits. Do some googling and discover how maligned it is.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

yup after racing it gets its fluids dropped, and replaced with normal antifreeze, then when its time to race, drop that and replace with distilled. Last season when st George were checking water properly, there were a few that were found out and made to change before they were passed

Time to go to the store and get me some distilled water and something to flush out the brown shit

Thread Information