Thread: Trailer Restraint

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Trailer Restraint

Anyone had any experience with these?
    http://www.pit-bull.com/trailer-restraint.shtml

It looks like a good system from the point of view of simplicity (apart from being expensive), but I wonder if it is safe to use by itself without straps. I'm thinking here in particular if you have to do a bit of a violent escape and evasion maneuver to avoid other road users, wildlife or potholes etc. If you used just the restraint (which pins through the back axle), wouldn't it put a fair whack of stress on the swingarm pivots due to the front end and engine (i.e. centre of mass) being completely unrestrained?

I would imagine that having all that mass free to torque the swing arm pivots and the rear axle in a horizontal plane could produce loadings in directions that are beyond the design spec of those parts, possibly risking cracking or inducing small fractures around these areas?
    (and worse than that, small fractures would probably be extremely hard to spot, particularly if they aren't being loaded to open them up and make them more visible).

Anyone actually know if these areas could take that kind of loading without risking damage?
    Last edited by No_Style; 30-11-2013 at 02:04 PM.

Thread Information