Thread: Box trailer shopping.

Box trailer shopping.

Hello Girls
    Need to pick your brains I'm going box trailer hunting this weekend and I'm wondering if my Blade will fit in a 7 x 4 or 7 x 5 length ways?.

I'm planning to install Pete's trailer mate hence why I'm a little worried if I should look more at a 8 x 4 ,8 x 5.

Thanks in advance.

If you're going to use a trailermate, get a 8 ft
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    If you're going to use a trailermate, get a 8 ft
    Yes that's my issues right now...shit loads of 7 x 4/5 around but with trailer mate I don't think ill be able to shut waste gate.

or I buy pit bull set up and attach rear wheel which stop my installing rear wheel axle sliders....mmmmm

make a removable Dock that bolts to front...

8 ft required if you use trailer mate...
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

yes 7ft box trailer of mine is too short to use inline with a trailermate

The 7ft one I had, I could just close the tailgate if I forced it, but it had a bow in it with the back wheel pushing into it. Why not just get a bike trailer? We would sell our enclosed trailer to you for $3500 if you want it, as we need to get a bigger one to fit 4 race bikes in.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    or I buy pit bull set up and attach rear wheel which stop my installing rear wheel axle sliders....mmmmm
    Have a look at these:
    http://www.t-rex-racing.com/catalog.php?item=457

They work in a similar manner to the pit bull (maybe a tiny bit more work each time, but not bad) except they clamp around axle sliders.
    The price ($90) is for a pair of them. I'm looking at getting two pairs, I just need to work out which axle block sliders will work for my R6 and for a ZX-6R.
    Shipping is ~40-50 according to the company. Let me know if your interested and we can order another set and split shipping, if your interested in making it all a little cheaper.

Personally I would still be inclined to use something to restrain the front of the bike in some way (but if you have the front wheel hard up against the front of the trailer, that would probably suffice).
    I'm planning to use a trailermate type setup to restrain the front wheel and these t-rex thingy's at the back. You probably wouldn't need the front restraint 99.9% of the time, but if you have to swerve around for some reason whilst towing, your probably running a risk of something going expensively wrong (particularly if you have more than 1 bike loaded and they can bounce into each other etc).

Edit:
    Ended up ordering some, will let you know how the system goes.
    http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthre...iler-Restraint
    Last edited by No_Style; 05-12-2013 at 11:41 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    The 7ft one I had, I could just close the tailgate if I forced it, but it had a bow in it with the back wheel pushing into it. Why not just get a bike trailer? We would sell our enclosed trailer to you for $3500 if you want it, as we need to get a bigger one to fit 4 race bikes in.
    Pics, Nelso? A mate is trailer shopping atm.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

yep yep I was using a 7x4 with a "easy trailer chock" the old 1198 would just squeeze in, if the bike was 10mm longer it would not have worked

making a 7x4 flat top at the moment... steel is with the father in law at the moment and should be finished by the end of the week

I'm the one Marshy was referring to that's considering getting a trailer mate. Any details / pics on yours? Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What's wrong with just strapping it to the back of the falcon mate?
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    What's wrong with just strapping it to the back of the falcon mate?
    The lack of wheelie control on the Falcon is proving to be a problem when it comes to steering and such...

But I'd also like to be able to carry more than one bike if need be.

Those wagons have a big boot just put the seats down and slide the bike in haha
    do a burnout

LOL! Good idea!!

Quote Originally Posted by Spilly1199 View Post
    The lack of wheelie control on the Falcon is proving to be a problem when it comes to steering and such...
    LOL ... remove the windscreen so you can get your body over the front!

Bikebiz had their massive trailer for sale yesterday. Forgot to tell you, might be back there today. Big enough to stand in and could take multiple bikes and gear. The Falc hooon could probably tow it OK too. I'm guessing for the price you could get a reasonable van ... which does way better three point turns. Put some advertising on the side for a tax deduction?

Just out of interest, how much did they want for it? Not that I'd be interested; just curious. They had to buy that huuuuuuge F300 (or whatever it is), massive truck-like ute thing just to pull that big trailer.

20k!
    My van is for sale after st George $17k

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Just out of interest, how much did they want for it? Not that I'd be interested; just curious. They had to buy that huuuuuuge F300 (or whatever it is), massive truck-like ute thing just to pull that big trailer.
    F300's a 5.x l V8 from memory ... should be pullable with a 4.x l 6 cyl? Just had an "inquire within sign" on it. With the Bikebiz sign on it they should pay for the sponsorship! All these things you see at SMP when you tour the entire pit row. Might have to pack a pushy for the future to go visit Rick and Wetty in their regular abode! BTW thanks for the gloves Rick.

20k!
    My van is for sale after st George $17k
    Why Rick, why. Do you want me to build you a trailer ?

Yea I'll get the angle grinder out & chop the roof off at the back. It's actually not that crazy of an idea, a ramp, two bikes tied down in the back....might suck when it rains though.

Could convert it to a extra long wheel base ute haha just get a tarp
    do a burnout

Could convert it to a extra long wheel base ute haha just get a tarp
    I'm honestly considering this - no joke

Why not get a ute then?! I have one and carry my bike on it no worries... closed gate and all. It fits all my gear and then some. Having said that, not having rear seats sucks sometimes.

who needs rear seats?

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    All these things you see at SMP when you tour the entire pit row. Might have to pack a pushy for the future to go visit Rick and Wetty in their regular abode! BTW thanks for the gloves Rick.
    Hey that's not my usual abode. I've never visited that part of Australia before, only ever ridden through. I think Cliffy is to blame
    Closer to the café the better for me, unless it's a race meeting when I've got my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    Why Rick, why. Do you want me to build you a trailer ?
    I've got a good trailer. I will be disappointed to see this go. It's been great and fits in most car parks and parking spots. I have thought about just keeping it for when I just do a practice/track day on my own etc, but rego is ridiculous for vehicles in NSW. With another addition to the family soon and needing to travel with the same. We just need more room. This year I will just do mostly club and state meetings, as the asbk and fx calendars suck. But want to get set up for doing a full season and the interstate travel required for one of the series next year hopefully.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    who needs rear seats?
    people with family or mates

people with family or mates
    That's what car boots are for Particularly young kids, as you can fit more in.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    That's what car boots are for Particularly young kids, as you can fit more in.
    yeah, but you also torture yours with soldering irons

yeah, but you also torture yours with soldering irons
    Anyone seeing a pattern here? I might be in trouble.....

So the current plan - can change in the next five minutes - is to:
    1: Sell my Aston
    2: Sell the Ford or keep it - worth nothing so doesn't matter
    3: Buy a Porsche Cayenne / Cayenne Twin Turbo or ML63 4WD that is around 5 years old so its taken the massive depreciation hit
    4: Buy a trailer to use for race meets but also be able to use the ramp if need be like for just a track day or moving a bike. The Porsche has adjustable air suspension so perfect for this.

The bonus of this is I can keep the trailer and bikes together in my one car garage and a 4WD isn't that much of a risk to park on the street - currently I've got my bikes in the garage but both cars parked on the street. It can be tricky to get two parking spots at times but main issue is if someone scratches or tries to nick the Aston. Someone's already flogged one of the badges in the centre of one of the wheels.

Any thoughts on this plan? And any opinions on which 4WD to go for?

Cheers,
    Steve

Street Fire lol insurance will sort all your problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    Street Fire lol insurance will sort all your problems.

Ha - not when the insurance specifies that the car needs to be kept in a lockup garage! A garage fire on the other hand...hmmmm....(not serious!)

Hahahaa

currently I've got my bikes in the garage but both cars parked on the street. It can be tricky to get two parking spots at times but main issue is if someone scratches or tries to nick the Aston.
    Do you live in the eastern suburbs? There's this AM parked on my street all year long... I've wondered why the hell he doesn't get himself a garage! hahahaha Around here you can just rent one of one of the building though.

So the current plan - can change in the next five minutes - is to:
    1: Sell my Aston
    2: Sell the Ford or keep it - worth nothing so doesn't matter
    3: Buy a Porsche Cayenne / Cayenne Twin Turbo or ML63 4WD that is around 5 years old so its taken the massive depreciation hit
    4: Buy a trailer to use for race meets but also be able to use the ramp if need be like for just a track day or moving a bike. The Porsche has adjustable air suspension so perfect for this.

The bonus of this is I can keep the trailer and bikes together in my one car garage and a 4WD isn't that much of a risk to park on the street - currently I've got my bikes in the garage but both cars parked on the street. It can be tricky to get two parking spots at times but main issue is if someone scratches or tries to nick the Aston. Someone's already flogged one of the badges in the centre of one of the wheels.

Any thoughts on this plan? And any opinions on which 4WD to go for?

Cheers,
    Steve
    Could swap the Ford and some cash for a second hand iLoad. Get glass put in all the panels and add a backing camera. No sweating it with those three point turns. Two bikes plus gear all pretty secure for Phillip Island run too!

Could swap the Ford and some cash for a second hand iLoad. Get glass put in all the panels and add a backing camera. No sweating it with those three point turns. Two bikes plus gear all pretty secure for Phillip Island run too!
    But use what for day to day transport you think? Also could I tow a trailer with a van as well or too much load?

This is actually a good idea! It's this or get an enclosed trailer that lives in the garage. And either way, get something nicer as a daily driver.

But use what for day to day transport you think? Also could I tow a trailer with a van as well or too much load?

With the rear windows and rear camera, the van is great for daily commute too, nice and high seating position for city traffic. Get an AC curtain between cab and load space. They are pretty safe ANCAP wise, and drive pretty much like a car. Get the most powerful engine re pulling load plus trailer. It's fine to leave on street. See if you can get sliding doors both sides too. If you want can get the van vinyl wrapped with your company details, should be a tax deductible sponsorship angle there, but best to check with accountant first.

Thread Information