Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Summer Project- Trailer time !!!

A Summer Project- Trailer time !!!

Here's something i've started putting together in the last day or 2.

Its interesting how difficult it is to keep the weight down and still build the thing properly and cheap enough
    At the moment doing a cost comparison on steel with brakes Vs An all Aluminium frame and no brakes.

Doing the main trailer frame and cage frame in steel i can't seem to keep the trailer weight under 450Kg
    This means that i can carry no more than 300Kg before i have to go to a braked unit.

Alloy would definitely fix this problem but it really is about working out the cost. In any case, something to sink my teeth into for a month or two.

Its 2700 (L) x 1950 (W) x 1150(H)

Attachment 341Attachment 342Attachment 343

That looks really good! What's the difference in cost? I'm thinking that unless it's something like 1-1.5K, then the lighter option would sort of pay for itself over time if you use it a lot... less fuel consumption/tyre wear/etc and a lot more convenient to move it around if you need to.

Weight is the total enemy of trailers!! I HATE the weight of mine (560kgs). It's going on a serious diet once I'm back on my feet. If I was building one from scratch, I would be almost solely focused on keeping it as light as possible. As Ed says, there's just no upside to it not being as light as possible. Adding brakes is no big deal, and not that exxy. 300kg max weight is only 1 bike and a bit of gear, and everything adds up rather quickly (toolboxes are heavy, spare rims, fuel, tyres, riding gear etc etc). You'd go over that pretty quickly I reckon.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

It's all about whether you go for Ally with the main trailer frame.
    Everything else is fairly easy to keep light from the get go by just spending a little more in the right places
    Alloy Honeycomb floor, Alupanel walls etc

I'd steer clear of an alloy chassis.With the flex you get towing a trailer the welds tend to crack and if you don't have a TIG lying around it's a PITA.Work out how much weights going to go in it and then make a steel rhs frame and just make the enclosure top out of aluminium.

I bought one of these from Bob at Gal Aluminium at Mt Druitt a year ago. Mine doesn't have locker on draw bar or lid or sides ... minimal ... approx 100kg. I needed as light as possible to tow with the little car as well as move trailer around on my steep driveway. I even got alloy wheels (with lock nuts). My guess is with Gixxer and boxes / ramp / spares / etc I load on trailer it's around 300-330kg all up ... car is rated to tow 500kg. Not suppose to rust and never needs painting. I only wish he had run electrical cables external to the box section as it made adding parts and screwing to the side rails tricky. He makes enclosed ones too ... but exxy.

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALUMINUM-...item19e599d8df

Quote Originally Posted by CBR42 View Post
    I'd steer clear of an alloy chassis.With the flex you get towing a trailer the welds tend to crack and if you don't have a TIG lying around it's a PITA.Work out how much weights going to go in it and then make a steel rhs frame and just make the enclosure top out of aluminium.
    Agreed. It just seems like a major leap to try and get a reliable, solid and flexible main base frame out of Aluminium.
    In my experience its much better in a rigid environment.

Doing the sums i can shave close to 50Kg off it just by doing the cage frame and tailgate frame in Ally rather than steel.
    The floor is the next big weight saving measure. This is where its worth spending a few extra dollars to get good rigid lightweight technology so you don't have that sagged checker plate after 12 months nor are you carrying a steel slab around.
    Aluminium honeycomb drop in's on the steel frame with a thin rubber skin over the top if i can get it all the way i want it.

J.

If you wanna go really lightweight and have the time and $...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9bcZfY-ED0

J/k... it'd be the most rad trailer out there though!

As rad as that mullet Reg is sporting. Absolute proof he can cut a straight line. in Reg's words "best thing you'll see all day".
    Very interesting though. I always assumed they assembled carbon fibre in a similar fashion to fibreglass.
    No...I'm not loving that and I'm not loving that! But I'm loving this!

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/oran-...il-2009-702765

http://www.break.com/video/ugc/track...d-video-625380

Hi mate, the pics in your OP aren't showing up for me - could you please re-post?

Do you think you could make an enclosed trailer?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just get a van I here there pretty good loads of space.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post

If I need a holiday home your van is first on my shopping list!

Can fit a queen size mattress init haha.

I'm in the process of hacking up my trailer. I wanna get rid of my ute and buy a wagon so I can take all my gear and stands in that and bikes/fuel/tools on the trailer. Me and the mrs got a small hatchback and the ute and we both take the train to work, don't need the expensive ute rego..

I bought the standard 3 rail dirt bike trailer, 220kgs so it doesn't need inspections. I've added a toolbox and cut the rails off. I'm doing a 3mm alloy chequerplate floor and got two front wheel chokes for it. I gotta hurry up and finish it. It'll probably end up slightly over 250kg but not much #thuglyfe

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by Spilly1199 View Post
    Hi mate, the pics in your OP aren't showing up for me - could you please re-post?

Do you think you could make an enclosed trailer?
    Attachment 452Attachment 453Attachment 454Attachment 455Attachment 456

Here's some rough one's similar to the originals i think....
    That is the idea. I'll let you know soon enough.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I already have one of these Tristan. I also have a buddy who keeps threatening to come racing with me this year so the plan is bikes in the trailer, all the other crap in the van.

Good looking trailer plans!

Ok so I test drove a Cayenne turbo yesterday. Crazy fast, basically a turbo 911 on high wheelbase. But not great for cruising & prolly not that practical.

So I'm thinking of going for a twin cab ute with enclosed rear space and a trailer. Here's an example:

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...SSE-AD-2528777

And yes, I know it's a diesel but that's kinda the idea - I wanna go away from performance - it only means you can lose your license!

And yes, I know it's a diesel but that's kinda the idea - I wanna go away from performance - it only means you can lose your license!

I love my turbo diesel. Great engine in the right make

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    I love my turbo diesel. Great engine in the right make

Yea my friends have driven one & they say it's great to drive, just like a golf from inside, wouldn't know it was a ute

I recently drove an Audi SQ5, felt like having babies just so I could get into human trafficking and then buy one. Never thought a diesel could be or even sound that good...

The new hilux are doing very cheap deals in diesel but they have had issues with the injector seats which leads to oil pick up starvation. Was thinking of changing my ute to the dual cab but not spending 40k on a new car that the motor can be a bit dodgy. Why toyota australia havent fixed it is a joke .
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Ford Rangie if you can get one..

Rancell, you guys get many sprinters through your dealership?
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Yeah from time to time

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Ford Rangie if you can get one..
    Funny you should say that mate, this is what's been recommended by friends to me today! There's a place in pennant hills that customizes them up so wheels, raised, leather seats, vinyl wrap etc.

I'm going to go with extended cab over the dual cab because then the tray is bigger so I can fit 1-2 bikes in the back without a trailer if need be. Lose one seat & some leg room in the back but given I got no kids I think this is the best compromise for me.

Here's one they prepared earlier

Thats what I was driving last time I went home, loading a bike up onto one of those would be 'interesting' to say the least

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    Thats what I was driving last time I went home, loading a bike up onto one of those would be 'interesting' to say the least
    Why do you say that mate? How was it to drive? Keep in mind the pictured one has the dual cab, I would get the shorter cab & longer tray

I drove dual cab, plenty of space for the bikes but they're freaking high so if you're loading anything other than a MX or a big trail bike you'll need a custom ramp I think.

It's prob the most powerful ute i've driven and it's surprisingly comfy too. If it was me buying one, Id go for the extra cab one instead of the single. I had one of those but it was a Courier, I loved the extra space and used it A LOT! Having space to carry your stuff dry when it's raining is invaluable... Not to mention that you can store your bag or whatever in there and not worry about it when you park in a public space etc.

I drove dual cab, plenty of space for the bikes but they're freaking high so if you're loading anything other than a MX or a big trail bike you'll need a custom ramp I think.

It's prob the most powerful ute i've driven and it's surprisingly comfy too. If it was me buying one, Id go for the extra cab one instead of the single. I had one of those but it was a Courier, I loved the extra space and used it A LOT! Having space to carry your stuff dry when it's raining is invaluable... Not to mention that you can store your bag or whatever in there and not worry about it when you park in a public space etc.
    Yea will def get custom ramp mate. Good info, thanks. So the dual cab tray can fit 2 bikes? I was thinking only one bike diagonally

I didn't try it but from what I remember it should fit... Easy to know if you check the specs

Ok just re read your post and you wanted the extra cab all along... Hahaha so much for a good advice!

Check where the wheel arches are if you want to put two bikes in . I did see a hilux dual cab with two bikes , the rear wheels were on the tailgate , but it can be done .

Looked into two bikes on the extracab and where the wheel arches sit made the bikes arkward to load . Highly recommend putting a trailermate in if using it for one bike , makes it so much easier to tie it down without having to do a balancing act trying to hold the bike at the same time.

Also i made up some tailgate extensions (where the wire rope attatches to the tailgate) so the angle of the ramps makes it less prone to catching on the bellypan. My hilux ute isnt the lowest around and having two wide ramps makes it much easier to load and walk up at the same time , but if its wet , its not much fun.. covered caged trailer is what im using now which fits all my shit and two bikes .
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Here's a couple pics of the ranger with the extended cab. It's still a dual cab, just smaller in the rear cab, less leg room jan the back and 2 fold up seats instead of 3. But upside is you get a bigger ute tray.

Oh and it has smaller suicide doors. You could still fit bags and some gear in there but maybe not rims & stands.

Its starting to rise to the surface.....

Thankyou baddie, i am familiar with the internet and that ebay thingy. Scary isn't it.....
    Thats not exactly my summer project, more like someone else's " I know what they wanted to do and tried to do last Summer but they didn't, really......"

Ed, just tell him to call Bob. He's a freak at loading bikes, 1 handed up a 60ยบ incline while telling me a story and holding my coffee....
    And he used to have a special ramp for it from memory, made of some ancient material that he said came from tree's !!!!

Its starting to rise to the surface.....
    it's no secret. I have to get a van longer than Wetty's, before he buys a transporter and I can't beat him.
    I would have thought you would be understanding of my predicament.

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

it's no secret. I have to get a van longer than Wetty's, before he buys a transporter and I can't beat him.
    I would have thought you would be understanding of my predicament.
    Or if you knew about the Brazilian in his bed before he did that would just about beat all...

Alternately buy shares in QLD Rail. Surely HE's not gonna buy a freakin train.....!!!

And i never said that i was scared. You shut up....

With the extra long wheel base wettys transporter won't have a chance.

Ed, just tell him to call Bob. He's a freak at loading bikes, 1 handed up a 60ยบ incline while telling me a story and holding my coffee....
    And he used to have a special ramp for it from memory, made of some ancient material that he said came from tree's !!!!
    Hahaha and ppl look at me funny when I ran next to mine and then jump on the tray...

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    With the extra long wheel base wettys transporter won't have a chance.
    By transporter Chubb, I mean a huge truck

Hahaha and ppl look at me funny when I ran next to mine and then jump on the tray...
    No, I remember. I was one of those people. I looked at you funny

Although i do love the subtitle on the second listing- Very sturdy chariot style

Poor Bruce ran to help me one day not knowing it was all a well orchestrated act of balance, finesse and luck

Steve, try loading a bike on someone's ute at st george before you buy one. It is silly-hard-dangerous. I'd hate it in 5 minutes.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

It depends on the ute... on mine is dead easy, even my gf could it. High utes are a different story though.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Steve, try loading a bike on someone's ute at st george before you buy one. It is silly-hard-dangerous. I'd hate it in 5 minutes.
    Steve get a van and just put the bikes on the roof rack ... same same ...

Just get a van it's turbo diesel dragged off a V8 landcruzer with 2 bikes in the back smoked him hahaha but seriously big van is where it's at.

Thread Information