Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rez-Erection - K3 GSXR600 Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    Dan,

if you don't want to go see the best in the biz (Laurie Alderton) give my mate Jarod a call at Alsop engineering.
    He builds amazing custom shit for me all the time and works with all metal.
    They're in Alexandria, near TDC.

http://www.alsopengineering.com.au
    2/17-21 Bowden St, Alexandria NSW 2015
    (02) 9699 0083

BTW, Soundwave isn't a tour, it's a Rock n' Roll picnic and you know it.

J.
    Cheers mate, I'll give him a buzz.

Haha rock and roll picnic. When you've got a good group and your gear truck doesn't get stuck in floodwater (2013) it can be a charm. Such a good group of people though and everything manages to work in the end. Looking forward to it!
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    That's best done as a two man job. Getting it out AND back in. Hope you're OK?
    Bit swollen but it'll be alright. Put some ice on it and then got back to work. Pulled the street fairings and the end of the subframe off the 99 last night and started moving the rectifier and the other electrics on board. Seeing the k3 and the 99 stripped I couldn't believe how much lower the SRAD seat was. Trying to fit my old race fairings (k3/4 gsxr1000) onto the 99. All the mount points are way off so going to have to think about this and see what I can bodge up to get through the 27th.
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Bit swollen but it'll be alright. Put some ice on it and then got back to work. Pulled the street fairings and the end of the subframe off the 99 last night and started moving the rectifier and the other electrics on board. Seeing the k3 and the 99 stripped I couldn't believe how much lower the SRAD seat was. Trying to fit my old race fairings (k3/4 gsxr1000) onto the 99. All the mount points are way off so going to have to think about this and see what I can bodge up to get through the 27th.
    I have 4/5 sets of GSXR600 K1 fairings in varying states ... if you want something from my fibreglass collection let me know? Won't need anything whilst in WA. The HK fairing stays are going to try for redlivery ... another month ... :(

I have 4/5 sets of GSXR600 K1 fairings in varying states ... if you want something from my fibreglass collection let me know? Won't need anything whilst in WA. The HK fairing stays are going to try for redlivery ... another month ... :(
    If you have an upper fairing I could use that would be delightful. I have two bellies and two tails but just the one upper.

Bummer about the stays :(
    do a burnout

If you have an upper fairing I could use that would be delightful. I have two bellies and two tails but just the one upper.

Bummer about the stays :(
    I think the uppers and lowers typically need to be from the same manufacturer to match up (not just holes, but shape)??? Who's the manufacturer of the belly? I'm running out of tails ... for some reason they get busted up the worst! You might want to bring a belly to the lockup (Kennards @ Miranda) and go through 'the collection' to see what fits? Kinda like Cinderella, but with fibreglass instead of glass , PM me and we can work out a time, this Sat AM works before I go to Marshy with the new sprockets?

Yeah lets not talk about the stays ... useless / lazy courier SOBs!

I think the uppers and lowers typically need to be from the same manufacturer to match up (not just holes, but shape)??? Who's the manufacturer of the belly? I'm running out of tails ... for some reason they get busted up the worst! You might want to bring a belly to the lockup (Kennards @ Miranda) and go through 'the collection' to see what fits? Kinda like Cinderella, but with fibreglass instead of glass , PM me and we can work out a time, this Sat AM works before I go to Marshy with the new sprockets?

Yeah lets not talk about the stays ... useless / lazy courier SOBs!
    That makes sense. Saturday should be ok I'll be in touch. Thanks!
    do a burnout

Spent the afternoon playing with the SRAD 600 and after a bit of messing around managed to get my old k3 1000 fairings to fit. So I officially have a second track bike now. Lucky, not sure I'm going to have time to get the necessary brackets welded up to fit the fairings on the K3 600.

I removed the back part of the subframe, trimmed the plastic and remounted all the electrics inboard as they used to sit on the outside under the bulbous tail section of the SRAD. Also welded some brackets to accommodate the different mounting points of the K3 tail. Had to get creative with the front fairing drilling a bunch of new holes and cutting back the area around the frame sliders.

Changed the stock pads to SBS sintered and will do all the fluids this week. Got some NTECs to throw on her as well. I have a dynojet kit that will be installed when I have a bit more time. Will pick up a 15T front as it's running stock gearing at the moment and the old girl could use a little more punch out of corners.

I've always enjoyed riding this one - bought it back in 2005 and was my first four stroke sports bike. Won't be setting any lap records but I'm looking forward to seeing what she can do with proper tyres, better gearing and better brakes.

Hopefully I'll get the K3 ready and be able to bring them both out.
    do a burnout

Go the SRAD
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    Go the SRAD
    You know it! I'd still love to put SRAD race fairings on it - if you hear of anything going around the PCRA circles let me know.
    do a burnout

In the next couple of months I'll have a full, hardly used freshly painted set for around $500

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

New helmet arrived just in time
    do a burnout

That matches Nick's new paint job very well!

Nice!!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    That matches Nick's new paint job very well!
    Funny you should say that... one of my favourite helmets of all time is Kevin Schwantz's on his Pepsi Suzuki. The white, blue and red with the dark-as-midnight visor. I always thought it looked SO cool. I've been wanting a similar vibe for years. Now I just need his bike - Schwantz's, or Marshys haha
    do a burnout

Here is the SRAD ready to roll. Bit of a sheep in Wolf's clothing draped in the K4 gsxr1000 fairing. Now running k3 600 forks and calipers and k4 gsxr1000 MC w/ braided lines up front, woodcraft clip ons and shorty levers.
    do a burnout

Looks good mate. Looking forward to seeing it on track tomorrow.

Looks like my other one!
    do a burnout

First session back after 3 months!

RIP RED LEATHERS
    do a burnout

I'd be quietly burying the retro tighty-whitey ones at night in an unmarked grave too..... but to each their own I guess. Whatever floats your boat, but you wouldn't have looked out of place on Oxford Street on a Sunday night. Not that there's anything wrong with that!

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I'd be quietly burying the retro tighty-whitey ones at night in an unmarked grave too..... but to each their own I guess. Whatever floats your boat, but you wouldn't have looked out of place on Oxford Street on a Sunday night. Not that there's anything wrong with that!
    Nick's just jealous! I loved the tighty whities ... don't you go a changing Dan ... they will be purrfect for PCRA!

First session back after 3 months!

RIP RED LEATHERS
    Who TF is that? I don't recognise the cohesive colour scheme. Dan, a conformist? I'm in shock

I love the whitey they were just a little too much on the tightey side. I'm going to keep an eye out for a set of modern white leathers you guys will love it.
    do a burnout

Thought i kept passing a smurf on a stolen Gixxer. It was a little unnerving

I'll make sure next time you don't pass me so you don't have to go through the trauma again haha
    do a burnout

Quick question: I ended up using the gsxr1000 master cylinder I had on the 99 so I'm without a MC for the k4 gsxr1000 calipers I have. Found a hyabusa one for a reasonable price in theory would this be a issue putting them together. Hyabusa runs 6 pot calipers so should be pretty decent, right? Wrong?
    do a burnout

I think the gsxr1000 MC was the same as the 600 one anyway...
    do a burnout

ALSO... Is there any reason I couldn't use, for example, a late model CBR1000 MC? Seems like they are a fair whack cheaper than finding period parts.
    do a burnout

Quick question: I ended up using the gsxr1000 master cylinder I had on the 99 so I'm without a MC for the k4 gsxr1000 calipers I have. Found a hyabusa one for a reasonable price in theory would this be a issue putting them together. Hyabusa runs 6 pot calipers so should be pretty decent, right? Wrong?
    I have one off roughly a K8 (by the looks), if you are interested. It's taking up space....

Edit: also probably a 600/750, again by the look, but I have NFI really. It's just the Nissin that comes on the K7/K8s I've had - I think!
    Last edited by Marshy; 28-01-2014 at 11:25 PM. Reason: More detail

Thought I'd drop a bit of an update in here about where the bike is at. As some would know while I was waiting for some parts to come in I turned my 1999 into a 2nd track / race bike(wet bike? Sounds so professional!)

So last week this is how she was looking

Very depressing. Neglect, malnutrition, emotional disrepair.

So two big things happened this week. The first was that I got round to Marshy's to pick up my rear shock that he serviced. The second was that the 2004 gsxr1000 fork leg I bought last week arrived so suddenly all the bits can start being hung from the bike again.

Shock went in without any dramas and I figured I may as well install the woodcraft shark fin I had bought off BoB back in November. Couldn't find the instructions but found a YouTube video and worked it out.

TBC!
    do a burnout

Thought I'd drop a bit of an update in here about where the bike is at. As some would know while I was waiting for some parts to come in I turned my 1999 into a 2nd track / race bike(wet bike? Sounds so professional!)

So last week this is how she was looking

Poor thing! She does look sad and alone.

Yeah pretty depressing.

I forgot to ask the other day has that MC turned up in your garage? Still keen.

Will finish the rest of this off over the weekend.

Yeah pretty depressing.

I forgot to ask the other day has that MC turned up in your garage? Still keen.

Will finish the rest of this off over the weekend.
    I've got a spare you can take mate

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post
    I've got a spare you can take mate
    That would be great. Where are ya based?
    do a burnout

I haven't found it yet, but I will have a look later.

The Rez-Erection - K3 GSXR600 Rebuild

As you can imagine, the bits that stuck out from the frame copped a bit of damage. Due to the dents on the pipe I had to rethink the mounts a little otherwise it would bash on the swingarm.

Got around this by getting out the hacksaw and cutting the rear passenger peg off and drilling through the flat area to create a new hole. I will also cut the rear bit off as well to clean it up but this was just mocking it up to see if it would work for now.

I've also reinstalled the rear sets so the back end is done now, more or less, once I tighten everything up.
    Last edited by dan; 31-03-2014 at 12:02 PM.
    do a burnout

Yesterday Marshy graciously let me use his very fancy fork spring compressor and we finally got these new (old?) K3 GSXR1000 USD gold babies full of oil and ready to install.

A note on these. Back in November I found a set of forks on eBay for $70. I also picked up calipers and a MC off the dude for another $70. Bargain right? Well, not quite.

They didn't come with top triples so I ended up having to buy another full set of upper and lowers ($120). One of the fork caps was damaged and it ended up being cheaper getting thr full internal than trying to find a replacement ($95 from Metros). One of the fork legs was also dented slightly that prevented full stroke of the fork tube. After a lot of head scratching wondering if I can heat the area and tap the dent out, in the interest of not weakening the area I bit the bullet and and bought a whole other fork leg from the states ($200, quoted $500 at metros). Need new clip ons as well so another $100 there. I also need to get some 24x10mm spacers made as I'm running 320mm discs and the donor forks are designed for 300mm.

In hindsight it turned out to be a lot of hassle. I better be doing 40s on these otherwise I'll be spewing haha

The good bit though - they look fantastic!

do a burnout

With everything off the front end I realised how horrible the standard dash mounts were. The guy I got the bike off basically took a hacksaw to the stock headlight mounts leaving enough meat to bolt the dash too but it looked like a dogs breakfast.

I decided this wouldn't do / couldn't work out how it reattached. For some reason I have a feeling it was zip tied to the fairing stay which is pretty shit.

Found a bit of 25x3mm metal, measured it up and attached it to the bungs where the stock headlights push into.

Once I had that across I had a heap of freedom where to mount the dash so I lined it up and centred the tacho.

This mount will also allow me to attach any switches or possibly even my lap timer. And it looks cool.
    do a burnout

This mount will also allow me to attach any switches or possibly even my lap timer. And it looks cool.
    Nice!! I'm picturing a row of 'missile launcher' switches.....

Just need to work out what missiles to launch. I got a bar mount switch to try rig up a fan switch but was having trouble getting it to work. Once everything is back together I'll try it again - lots of things unplugged at the moment.
    do a burnout

40s???

Easy

Interesting build story Dan.
    I run the K5 MC on my K1 and it works a treat, especially with SRJL's.
    Be extra careful when you run those 1000 forks for the first time with that dent. I had the same thing when I first got mine but didn't know it was there. The dent was lower than where yours is and restricted the full range of the fork. This caused the fork to be in a constant "twist" and subsequently had the pads rubbing all the time. The over heated brakes then had total fail. Lucky for me it was my first 3 laps on the bike and just went to feather the brakes at the old T10 and found it came to the bar. Glad it wasn't T2.

I ended up buying an entire spare fork leg as I was worried about the travel and didn't want to risk it bottoming out early. The ones on it are sweet az now.
    do a burnout

That would be great. Where are ya based?
    It's at mum's in matraville, I can pick it up next time I'm there, I'm in Surry Hills

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post
    It's at mum's in matraville, I can pick it up next time I'm there, I'm in Surry Hills
    Thanks mate!
    do a burnout

I ended up buying an entire spare fork leg as I was worried about the travel and didn't want to risk it bottoming out early. The ones on it are sweet az now.
    Excellent!

It's coming along nicely Dan

missile laucher is a good idea but this what I want on my bike now...

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/1-2-PLAYE...76a6f46&_uhb=1

Obviously just one player! hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    missile laucher is a good idea but this what I want on my bike now...
    That's really cool!!

Got a question in regards to making the new 1000 calipers fit with my rotors.

The 1000 came with 300mm discs and my 600 has 320mm so i need four 10mm spacers to make it all work with the radially mounted calipers.

The measurements are for 24mm OD, 10mm ID and 10mm thick.

OBVIOUSLY, ideally I'd get the spacers machined up properly and they'd be perfect and everyone is happy and blah blah blah. However, I'm spending money across 4/5/6 (I cant even remember) race bikes at the moment so where I can I try and avoid having to pay out for custom fab bits.

I started thinking maybe i can just get the same effect with stainless steel washers. Found some that are 1.2mm thick, ID of 10mm but OD of 21mm so they would be 3mm / 1.5mm short on each side. Due to thickness they would also sit either 1mm lower or 1mm higher than the 10mm required.

Is this a terrible idea? My concerns come from 1) reduced OD - although 3mm across 21mm is probably within tolerance but mainly 2) play between washers with 4 or 5 rubbing together may work the bolt loose. I don't think them sitting 1mm higher or lower will really make a difference.

Interested to know people's thoughts. Haven't got a quote on spacers yet but I can probably solve this with the washers for under $5.

It would be sweet fa to get the spacers machined. Toecutter on Rats has the setup you are talking and has the spacers. If you were saving a shit load then it might be a consideration but corners shouldn't be cut when it comes to your anchors me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information