Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The Rez-Erection - K3 GSXR600 Rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Krackeye View Post
    It would be sweet fa to get the spacers machined. Toecutter on Rats has the setup you are talking and has the spacers. If you were saving a shit load then it might be a consideration but corners shouldn't be cut when it comes to your anchors me thinks.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Yep I hear ya, was just wondering how much corner cutting it actually was. Looks like I've got something sorted and it will be done properly. Can do some massive stoppies now!

The Rez-Erection - K3 GSXR600 Rebuild

Look what Rob very kindly made up for me

These were really the final piece in my [mechanical] puzzle. Swung past Coventry today for some bolts and here we are

All I need to do now are fairings and I'm ready for St George WP - well, the bike will be ready. Not me. No way.

Rob, you are a bloody legend! Thanks a million xxxxxxxxxxx
    do a burnout

Works of art, they are!!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

They are so good, fit perfect! Nicest thing on the bike (apart from me).
    do a burnout

Nothing like a bit of stopping power! Can't wait to see your new rig out on the track

Vesrah pads arrived from the states yesterday. Pads for these calipers are the most expensive thing ever. It runs 4 pads per caliper. Couldn't find any race pads for under $160 then found a dude selling unused ones on eBay and got them for $40 delivered.
    do a burnout

bargain! good score mate
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

yeah was pretty happy with that one
    do a burnout

It had been a while since I've done some work on this one due to a) my life-shortening World Cup bender and b) when I arrived back to the workshop there was 31 motorcycles crammed in and not much room to actually reach any of them - don't worry Marshy, they weren't all mine haha

With the mechanical all (knock on wood) sorted my next challenge was to mount the fairing. In the Great Highside of 2013 I managed to annihilate the mounts on the subframe and pretty much every other mounting point. Some of this stuff I've covered previously but the top fairing stay mounts had been hacked off as well so I'm kind of starting from scratch here.

The other night I pulled out my new (old) fairings and decided to work this one out. I found two holes in the fairings that looked like they matched up to some threads on the frame, slung a bolt through and played the mock up game. After a bit of head scratching I got the top fairing on and the belly pan mounted up as well.

The rear was always going to be a problem. I had cut away the dangling mounts and decided a length of metal across the top of the subframe bolted in with the ends angled down should do the trick. So off to bunnings for some 3mm steel, a bit of measuring and a bit of cutting and bending and here I am. I'm going to put some of those threaded rivets though them instead of welding a nut to the back.

So here she is kind of most of the way there. My first priority is to get her back on the track then I'll take the fairings off and give them a coat to make it look a little prettier. Realistically there isn't far to go at all for her to be track ready; a few hours probably just need to find those few hours. Then I'll just chuck her down the road again haha

do a burnout

Nice!!

But now, be honest, how many of the 31 bikes are yours? Is it more than 15? 20?? More???

Looks great mate! Alsmost ready to race... Like the rest of em?!
    You know how much track time you could have had instead of 31 bikes??
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Nice!!

But now, be honest, how many of the 31 bikes are yours? Is it more than 15? 20?? More???
    Looks who's talking... lol

To clarify I don't own 31 bikes they are a mixture of mine, my mate's, my dad's and other people's that are getting fixed up by my mate I share the space with.

I only have like 12 I think. I can't remember.

Oh ok... if it's only 12 it's normal! hahaha I had 2, sold one last week... and even the one I still have looks like it might be going too.

I want in on that space, it looks awesome. mums garage is getting to cluttered for me

We have to be out at the end of October :(
    do a burnout

Might be looking for people to share a future space if you are keen?
    do a burnout

Is there a general rule of thumb about how much space you need between your belly pan and the back of the front wheel? Don't want to find out I didn't leave enough braking into T2 :/
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Might be looking for people to share a future space if you are keen?
    Super keen, would be goo to get somewhere I can do servicing Front Mount fitting etc on the skoda

Getting closer everyday. Finally got around to using that threaded rivet tool I picked up a few months ago and now I have seat mounts.

Took a little off the fibreglass at the front mounting holes and now it is all bolted up. Success!

The trick now is solving my seat issue. Standard mounts had been ground off (well, cut off in an even more agricultural way than I tackle things) so I need to knock up another solution. Keeping with the threaded rivet theme I'm thinking a few of those into the subframe then just making a metal plate to shape, cover that with foam and bolt it on. Easy, right? Stay tuned!
    do a burnout

Having a crack at getting this seat started today. Since I'm starting from scratch I figured first thing I needed was to work out how high it needs to be. Too low and I'm sort of trapped inside the bike and too high I won't have the stability I need. Had a look around the workshop and found this aprilia rs 125 seat I have from another bike. Chucked it on and it felt alright so I marked the height on the tank and will try replicate the shape on my own base.

Now I've got to work out how high the base needs to be so hunted around for something within tolerance and my old mate Laphroaig came to the party like he has on many occasions.

The plan is to build a rail running over the subframe that just bolts in with a bit of foam covered aluminium as the seat base. Will rubber mount it on the subframe and fingers crossed everything will be fine. Just booked Sept 14 at EC so I finally have a real deadline. Here we go...
    do a burnout

Bit of a mock up before I start drilling and shit. Can't see any problems yet!
    do a burnout

Top stuff!!

As long as the two braces are in line should be a breeze getting the actual base down. Will just have to trim the rubber to size. They will be attached using the threaded rivets into the subfrane
    do a burnout

As long as the two braces are in line should be a breeze getting the actual base down. Will just have to trim the rubber to size. They will be attached using the threaded rivets into the subfrane
    can you bring your rivet thinga majig next weekend?

I still need to put an insert in to hold the fairings on

Yep you have to remind me though!
    do a burnout

Bit of a mock up before I start drilling and shit. Can't see any problems yet!
    I reckon those rattle can lids might not be structural...

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    I reckon those rattle can lids might not be structural...
    True but it fits the theme haha
    do a burnout

So drilled my first hole for the rivet...

And turns out it's in the wrong fucking place! The rivet goes too deep and hits the bolt holding the tail section on. Bummer.

This one is a bit better

Same to the other side and my front mount is all but done.

Up the back as well and we're in business

Used 2 lengths of 3mm aluminium for each front and back to give it a bit more strength.

Currently heading over to Clark rubber for some, well, rubber for the bolt to go through and get some more height for the mounts. Will pick up something for the seat as well.
    do a burnout

Boom! Door stops, not just for doors!
    do a burnout

very creative Dan
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Haha love this build!

Ended up putting another brace across the middle so I can now use a much thinner piece of metal to mount the seat without worrying about it bending.

Tomorrow I hope to have the sheet cut roughly to shape and work out how it's all going to bolt in then I'll look at foam.

Last edited by dan; 02-09-2014 at 09:10 PM.
    do a burnout

This particular post is dedicated to Phat3r. I'm sure he can recall all the trouble he had when ordering a new fairing stay for his gsxr race bike.

After a bit of hesitation I decided to bite the bullet and buy one myself from good old Hong Kong eBay. I ordered it on August 29 and to my relief it arrived yesterday! 5 days! Killing it!

AAAAA++++++++ would buy again
    do a burnout

Sorry 4 days haha
    do a burnout

So came down to the workshop pretty excited to nail this seat issue. Swing past bunnings and picked up a sheet of 0.6m galvanized steel (about $12, only need half of it). Learning from past mistakes I made a cardboard mock up

Happy that it would all fit I cut it out of the sheet. I did it with tin snips so there are a few flags I'll have to clean up before it gets upholstered

Lined up where it needed to be and took the front brace off to make sure all the holes lined up then drilled it and bolted it back on

Was worried about fucking up where the rear holes should go so drill them while it was on the bike by feeling for the bolt underneath. Managed to get all that correct and now I have a proper seat base.

From here I can now work out where I can take material off abs will be rounding the edges and getting it all smooth so nothing gets caught. Quite happy with the result
    do a burnout

Lots to fill in BUT after 10 months on the stands the old girl is about to leave the workshop. I'm a little nervous!

do a burnout

I love fiddly shit like this. The payoff is when it finally actually works.... Kinda. Although remind me never to lend you a Sharpy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rattlecan lives!!

Wearing Keith Wallington's old fairings. After the shakedown I'll do some half arsed attempt at painting them up proper haha

Took her for a spin before and everything feels alright - rear sets a little loose though. Easy fix. Did a burnout in the lane to celebrate!

do a burnout

Love the burnout vid!! Stylin.. Shouda wheel stand the thing after burnouts

Unreal!!!!

Second best way to use up a ntec!
    do a burnout

Here's the vid haha

http://youtu.be/Hm4ojFQZci8
    do a burnout

Coooooooool!

Everyone loves a burnout
    do a burnout

Looking good Dan! I bit the bullet and re-ordered another front stay from HK too ... I was also relieved it arrived. I spoke to eBay re the missing ones, the trick is to lodge the complaint before the 30 day period otherwise PayPal won't sort it for you.

My K1's got some fixer upperer bits floating around here too ... been too flat chat at work and flu to be arsed to fix ... want to get the frame checked re straightness before I put it back together.

If you need new fairings let me know I'm probably going to sell all my odd sets ... did you keep any of the original forks on the K3 (I recall you upgraded them on either this or the SRAD). I need a right hand side one to replace the one I ground down?

I'm booked in for Sun Sep 28th ... going to try and get back to doing once or twice a month again, although having a farking mortgage again sucks hairy balls.

I thought you were going full time UA and was going to start trying to pick bits off your bike haha
    do a burnout

For sure let me know about fairings. Re: forks I put the k3 ones on the srad when I took them off. Looking to hold onto them has I have a full front end that I'd like to keep in one piece.

Hopefully this week I'll paint the fairing and tank. Just going to clean it up and go straight over the top. Whatever haha
    do a burnout

Will cover the seat as well then good as done in regards to aesthetics. Going to have to get a quickshifter when my pocket money comes in...
    do a burnout

Thread Information