Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Xmas present

Xmas present

The best thing about being old, with a wife and two or three kids, is that I now get to buy myself my own presents!! Picked it up this morning. Merry xmas to me:

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Nice one
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Surprise!!! It's an R6 ...

Two OR three kids ... Nick are you trading them for bikes again?

It's black ... I thort you hate black on bike ???

What's in store for this bad boy??

What year is it?

136+/-hp.....

Give us the dets... how does it make that much power?!

Full 08 Yamaha Factory's Supersport R6 making 135bhp , modded crank, SS motor, factory cams, YEC everything, Ohlins full front and rear a very nice bike... Did Mark achieve his asking price ??
    Last edited by Stu23; 27-12-2013 at 06:11 PM.

Fark... I may be getting a case post boxing day/Xmas jealousy!

Then again...

Holy cow!!!

Those playing in CS and 600s have to chance now. It's like a bloody. 750

Not fair!

Congrats Marshy, VERY nice bike...

Wow, nothing stays secret any more!!

I haven't told anyone any specs, and in fact what Stu has said there is a bit more than I was told it's got. But hey, never ruin a good story with the truth! Also, Mark was a bit vague about what's in it, but it's got tuning numbers engraved all over it, so apparently Yamaha can still tell you what's in it.

AFAIK, it's got YEC cams, valves and springs, and a thinner head gasket. And the YEC ECU and loom. Ful Ti Akra. But it's missing a few bits too - there's no quickshifter (well, the horn button is a manual push-button jobbie), and there's only the OEM master cylinder. The forks have GP Suspension 25mm carts, not Ohlins (although almost everyone reckon the GP are better than the equivalent 25mm Ohlins), but there's a good old-school pre-TTX Ohlins in the rear, I know that will actually work.

It is ex-Yamaha factory supersport, so it's been built properly. And Mark has made it look very nice too. It's an 08, so yes, it's eligible for clubsport

And Rick B, you're absolutely right in that I hate black bikes, so it will look totally different when it hits the track in a month. Hell, it's mostly stripped already!

I didn't pay what Mark was asking, but it was still very expensive for an 08. If it hadn't been maintained by someone as handy and fastidious as Mark, I wouldn't have bought it. But I've always wanted one with all the goodies....

I've actually got some Graves & YEC goodies sitting here that I was going to put into my racebike at some point, to go with the ECU and harness on there already (eg Graves slotted cam wheels, YEC thinnner head gasket etc), but that might now be a project for someone else to do.

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in the championship-winning bike from this year?? I need the money!

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Two OR three kids ... Nick are you trading them for bikes again?
    Nah, I'm just not that interested in them and I lose track..... However I can tell you exactly how many bikes in the workshop at any given moment

What YEC goodies do you have?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

Carl and I went over that bike for 3 days when Carl was working at EC and it was for sale and on display We talked to Mark as he was selling 2 R6's out of his 4 that he owned ( now got a brand new ZX10 ) Its a great bike with good history, If I had the money and the inclination I would have snapped it up there and then, im sure you will love it Nick, its a beast !! Cant wait to see it on track if only for a little bit

Cant wait to see your face after first ride.

Congrats....Lets hope the calendar lets you run its in Fx Oz class.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    What YEC goodies do you have?

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk
    Mate I wouldn't be worrying about any YEC goodies yet...As I hope you did notice the backfiring/ missing your machine was doing specially though T10,11 and 12.

As some of the less experienced flaggies mentioned "popping a lot off the gas" compared to other R6 out there at the time.

But I did like you $1000+ dash.

Xmas present

Yeah it needs to go on a dyno.

The autotune isn't working at its best or it needs to keep working at it.

Or it has to do with ignition timing and not fuel.

Either way needs to go to a tuner I reckon.
    Last edited by chubb; 28-12-2013 at 07:25 AM.

Can't wait to ride it! YEC velocity stacks too, apparently.

Chubb, sounds like you've got a fuelling issue. Have you had it dynoed and tuned?

No not yet.

Any recommendations?

Not sure if anyone in Canberra works on a bazzaz system.

I know a good guy here. Not sure about Canberra. Maybe mstevo has a recommendation?

Most tuners have the Bazzaz software now too, meaning it's as easy as power commander.

I will go ask the local tuner at Motogarage here..

power commander or bazazz which is better?
    Last edited by shippy__; 28-12-2013 at 10:01 AM.

Bazzaz

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Can't wait to ride it!
    I remember the first time Mark rode it and he couldn't get the grin off his face. He was totally blown away by the power.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Maybe we could have a tarmac talk test ride day

AWESOME STUFF! Looks like it's fully loaded with some top gear! Is it ASBK or FX eligible? Surely you haven't purchased it just to run in a single class in a club championship? No one will stand a chance...
    Isle of Man TT Apprentice.
    Racing... it's life. Everything else is just waiting.
    2008 Suzuki GSXR1000 Race bike -SOLD
    2010 Kawasaki ZX6R Race bike (my chariot for the IOMTT)

Busy reading MOMS at the moment !!!! they change so much you never can keep up with whats what re eligibility grrr

how about a summary?

Quote Originally Posted by Stu23 View Post
    Busy reading MOMS at the moment !!!! they change so much you never can keep up with whats what re eligibility grrr
    Seems odd to be worried about eligibility, Stu Are you trying to disallow my new bike, or do you have plans for ASBK??

You would know that St George doesn't have any specific eligibility rules, apart from capacity (and compliance plate for Clubsport).

not what I meant Nick, I was refering to displaced comments settle down settle down !! SS rules with big Ton I think do not allow many mods now, I cant race my bike is his show ! in the SS 600s... Titanium system for gawds sake Formula Oz yes but mostly 1000cc there now :( Not sure re ASBK nowadays, seems most are returning to SStock regs which is a bit shit for those that like to play with their bikes a little..

As for St George, they are supposed to follow the SS regs and 600cc but they don't really do they !
    Last edited by Stu23; 28-12-2013 at 09:45 PM.

As for being worried...... I couldn't really catch you most weekends on your previous bike...... why would this one worry me more ROFL you should know me better than that by now..... And as I said...... If I had the cash, it would have been in my garage by now
    Last edited by Stu23; 28-12-2013 at 09:53 PM.

The GCRs for 600cc changed at the beginning of this year (2013), to allow normal mods (suspension, exhaust etc) but no engine work - except a thinner head gasket. Superbike is going the same way next year (2014), which in my view is an eminently sensible change. 600s have benefited from having stock engines this year, and with ProStock being more popular than Superbike atm, it makes sense to change the rules and contain runaway engine costs.

That said, I won St George this year on a bike I built specifically to meet the new Supersport rules (ie no engine mods, not even a thinner head gasket, which is legal to do). Thus I don't need a faster bike to win a club racing class. But I love love love, and collect, R6s, and I couldn't pass up the opportunity to own a piece of history. I haven't even decided to race it yet - there's certainly nothing wrong with my championship-winning bike! In fact, after nearly a year of developing the Ktech suspension, it is finally working properly now!!

FX rules have always been daft in the 600 class, so I've never bothered. I used to race in the Supersport class within Formula Oz, and in fact won the championship in 2011 on an unmodified R6. I don't know what he's planning for the rules for next year, and I'm not particularly interested either.

I know......... The rules keep changing year on year !! St George is going to be the only place to bloody run a modded bike of any kind soon..including mine .. It does seem as though the governing bodies are following the world champ bodies in reducing mods and therefore costs in national championships. This is good in one way as wildcard riders will stand a chance when the worlds come around , but it hurts people with modded bikes, and as far as big Tony, not many like to run 600s in Formula Factory Yamaha 1000 err I mean formula Oz !! I would think soon that the only mod you will be able to make is carts and shocks :(

Race the new one Nick ... technology always been part of racing ... it's legal so race the farker ...

Thanks Phat3R. Once I ride it, I reckon I'm gonna have a hard time not riding it at every opportunity!

Oh Stu, I think Terry said that this year there's no factory entries in FOz. So no more factory Yamaha domination, in theory.

you should know me better than that by now.....
    I knew you weren't worried about me; I was just stirring

Actually I was hoping that you had ASBK plans, and would come join me in some of the races....

That bike would be competitive in ASBK??

Actually I was hoping that you had ASBK plans, and would come join me in some of the races....
    Sponsor me and I'll come with you ;-)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

I wish...... with Carl starting up on track now as well, finances are going to be a little tighter.... however Mstevo might just be on to something there Nick

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    That bike would be competitive in ASBK??
    It would be competitive anywhere. It is still as quick as the current ASBK bikes and will most likely be quicker than next years ones with the new rules.
    ZRX1200 road bike
    TE511 trail bike/motard

I wish...... with Carl starting up on track now as well, finances are going to be a little tighter.... however Mstevo might just be on to something there Nick
    Welcome to the world of 'double the cost of everything'. It's great that the two of you can do it together, but it's very hard to finance. We need to chase some sponsorship for next year, or face the reality of not racing all of the rounds. Leanne has already pulled out of the first round of St George as we cant' afford it.

Soooooo, if there's anyone out there who would like to sponsor the second fastest female racer currently racing in this country, feel free to throw some money or product our way.

Or, alternatively, you could sponsor the heaviest racer around. At least there is plenty of space on the leathers for advertising.
    ZRX1200 road bike
    TE511 trail bike/motard

I heard a rumour somewhere that buying working hard he can pay for his own hobbies ??!!!
    Or are you just talking about when you bin his bike ?

lol hes fast using up my stash of part worn tyres !! when were out of those... eeek As for crashing, im paying whichever way !

The best thing about being old, with a wife and two or three kids, is that I now get to buy myself my own presents!! Picked it up this morning. Merry xmas to me:

Where was this bike up for sale ?!

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    Where was this bike up for sale ?!
    It's not what you know.....

Mark mentioned to Leanne that he was selling his collection of R6s, and she suggested he give me a call (seeing as I'm such an R6 fanatic). A few days later the deal was done. I don't think he got as far as advertising it.

I do look out for them fairly keenly. Nice purchase mate

yes, always keep an eye on good bikes so when they do hit the market, your ready to go

Wow, nothing stays secret any more!!

I haven't told anyone any specs, and in fact what Stu has said there is a bit more than I was told it's got. But hey, never ruin a good story with the truth! Also, Mark was a bit vague about what's in it, but it's got tuning numbers engraved all over it, so apparently Yamaha can still tell you what's in it.

AFAIK, it's got YEC cams, valves and springs, and a thinner head gasket. And the YEC ECU and loom. Ful Ti Akra. But it's missing a few bits too - there's no quickshifter (well, the horn button is a manual push-button jobbie), and there's only the OEM master cylinder. The forks have GP Suspension 25mm carts, not Ohlins (although almost everyone reckon the GP are better than the equivalent 25mm Ohlins), but there's a good old-school pre-TTX Ohlins in the rear, I know that will actually work.

It is ex-Yamaha factory supersport, so it's been built properly. And Mark has made it look very nice too. It's an 08, so yes, it's eligible for clubsport

And Rick B, you're absolutely right in that I hate black bikes, so it will look totally different when it hits the track in a month. Hell, it's mostly stripped already!

I didn't pay what Mark was asking, but it was still very expensive for an 08. If it hadn't been maintained by someone as handy and fastidious as Mark, I wouldn't have bought it. But I've always wanted one with all the goodies....

I've actually got some Graves & YEC goodies sitting here that I was going to put into my racebike at some point, to go with the ECU and harness on there already (eg Graves slotted cam wheels, YEC thinnner head gasket etc), but that might now be a project for someone else to do.

Speaking of which, is anyone interested in the championship-winning bike from this year?? I need the money!
    I may be interested in the spare set of Racers Edge fairings you're ripping off that bike....

Full 08 Yamaha Factory's Supersport R6 making 135bhp , modded crank, SS motor, factory cams, YEC everything, Ohlins full front and rear a very nice bike... Did Mark achieve his asking price ??
    Well, as some of you heard, when I rode this 'weapon' I came in saying "Meh. It feels like my stocker, only noticeably less midrange and only a couple of extra hp up top". My educated guess was 118, and I also said if it had more than 120 I'd eat my hat.

So I chucked it on the dyno a couple of days ago, and guess what? Almost 120. No YEC cams (or presumably the matching valves & springs etc). Yes, it's got a thinner head gasket (US$80), and that'll give it some more ponies, but it doesn't have all the goodies that I was told it had (and paid for, mind you).

Not a happy camper. I rang Mark yesterday and let him know, and I'm waiting for him to call me back today.

Thread Information