Hey guys,

So I used the Pirelli lap timer App on my iPhone at the track a couple of weeks ago and it worked fine the first session but then kept saying "not enough GPS data to analyse" every session after that which was a little frustrating to say the least!

Seems to be a common problem but after experimenting today which included doing numerous timed laps walking around Marshy's backyard, I think we got it sorted! So when you start the lap timer you need to keep the app on screen, ie, you cant lock your phone or put the app in the background. This is obviously prone to problems like touching the screen accidentally or the phone auto-locking after 5 minutes etc. But in your iPhone if you go into Settings > General > Background App Refresh and make sure this is ON, it will work fine in the background and / or with the phone locked.

Note that this setting chews up your battery life so once your done with the lap timer best to turn the Background App Refresh back to OFF.

Well I'm pumped I can time more than one flying lap on this coming weekend! I'm going to get a proper lap timer as well to help with racing / qualifying but this app is great for what it is for use on track days etc. The amount of info it gives like lean angles, top speed, lap comparisons etc is really impressive for a free App!

The major upside to all this is that Owen (sorry don't know his screen name) is going to be thrilled he can keep putting my iPhone into my sweaty suit hump - he loooooooves it!!

Look forward to seeing whoever's going to the track on the weekend, I'll be there both days plus Jan 25 and 27.

Cheers,
Steve