Thread: Tyre wall crack

R6

Tyre wall crack

After changing tyres today, the one I replaced ( pirelli sc2 ) , the tyre wall on both sides has cracked up pretty bad??
    Just wondering if its a throw away now as its still got plenty of tread left. Also what would cause this to happen??
    IMG_1956.jpg

IMG_1957.jpg

That's crazy! How old are they? Did they looking that before fitting?
    There's no way I would ride on those personally.
    Mate, was that you I saw have a tumble today?
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

R6
    Yeah mate sure was, First one ever! was tipping in a little to hard and she just went from under me. It was a pretty smooth transition from bike to road thankfully, and pretty much nothing wrong with the bike, few scratches thats about it.

The tyre was bought new from bike biz only a few month back??? The fella changing the tyres looked like an apprentice, you reckon that might have something to do with it??

Glad you and the bike are ok.
    Someone with more knowledge than me will know more about the Tyres I'm sure.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

whats the date on the tyre? and what pressures are you running?
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

http://www.pirelli.com/tyre/ww/en/mo...ll_about_tyres

use the above link to help find the date of manufacture...... option 4 on the tyre

It's nothing too serious. I've had worse cracked sidewalls (on US dunlops), including a crack that ran pretty much all the way around the tyre. The rubber covering the sidewall belts isn't that thick, and under the right combo of heat/cool storage, plus the big stress stretching it on or off a rim, it can just split. The strength is in the underlying belts and layers, not in the thin outer rubber.

If you felt so inclined, you could take it back to Bikebiz and 'warranty' it..... You'd probably get a replacement tyre from them.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    whats the date on the tyre? and what pressures are you running?
    Tyre date shows 4408 witch i have only just learnt how to read as the date. Should they have sold me one so old??

Was running 26 psi on hot

R6
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    It's nothing too serious. I've had worse cracked sidewalls (on US dunlops), including a crack that ran pretty much all the way around the tyre. The rubber covering the sidewall belts isn't that thick, and under the right combo of heat/cool storage, plus the big stress stretching it on or off a rim, it can just split. The strength is in the underlying belts and layers, not in the thin outer rubber.

If you felt so inclined, you could take it back to Bikebiz and 'warranty' it..... You'd probably get a replacement tyre from them.
    Ok cool, I might ring them and see what they can do.

Not unless you bought it 4-5 years back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Condor View Post
    Tyre date shows 4408 witch i have only just learnt how to read as the date. Should they have sold me one so old??

Was running 26 psi on hot

Quote Originally Posted by phillmac View Post
    Not unless you bought it 4-5 years back.
    +1. Motorcycle tyres should NOT be sold new when they are that old. Return for a replacement!
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

pull out the old " I have spoken to fair trading and they have advised me to approach you in regards to replacing the tyre"

Thread Information