Ive ridden dirt for a while now. Not nearly as often as I would like. I can't recommend it nearly enough. Bought a CRF450X new and couldnt be happier. Great machine. Only change Honda have made to it sans plastics since 05 is EFI - introduced for 08 or 09....which is saying something. I want to get another and motard the thing for road and racing.

I mainly do enduro, had a little fun on Supercross and MX tracks but they are so hard on the machine, and get boring after a while. Enduro keeps the mind active, nothing like a tight, fast single trail!! Rally are great to enter also, 700 odd bikes doing 80km loops......sorts the men from boys!!! not really racing but you can race your makes. and win new bikes!

For anyone wanting to get into it, I wouldn't be paying for lessons at all. Buy an old shitter, learn basics, once you find yourself, find some quick dudes to tail and you will learn a lot more and a lot faster than a tutorial will offer.
Only things you need to remember is that its the polar opposite to track in every aspect, yet its the same principles, throttle control, body position, vision.

I would advise against a Yami. If you must tho the 426's were quick as shit but unreliable. WR450 circa 05 were their best model. And try to get one without the magic button! earn your stripes by kicking the shit out of it half way up a snotty hill, out of breath, sweating