Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New clothes for the new R6

New clothes for the new R6

Finished fitting them up (and the darn forum software is sucking the colour out of them again! Rick, can you remember how we fix this?):

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Looks cool Nick. Very distinctive scheme
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Nice Nick!! Very shiny!

New always looks nice, but battle scars give credibility ;-)
    OK I'll ask! whats PEPS all about?
    and I'll be very interested to see how your quick shifter works on such a long rod

edit
    where's your new brake lever protector?
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

oooooo a M1 now that's flash

will be the talk of the shed's taking a M1 to the creek

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    New always looks nice, but battle scars give credibility ;-)
    Yeah, but when was the last time you saw me with a pretty bike?!?!? There's a limit to the credibility thing.

OK I'll ask! whats PEPS all about?
    It's Engrish for Pepsi. F@#king painters f&$ked up, and I hoped nobody would notice (although I noticed straight away). I was gonna reject them, but they look so good otherwise....

and I'll be very interested to see how your quick shifter works on such a long rod
    Me too!

edit
    where's your new brake lever protector?
    Coming. Still to be fitted. I had a go yesterday, but couldn't get the bungs out of the clipon bars.....

Quote Originally Posted by shippy__ View Post
    oooooo a M1 now that's flash

will be the talk of the shed's taking a M1 to the creek
    It's Rossi's bike.....

R6
    Fuck yeah, that looks sick!!!

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Sounds about right

I do prefer Coke but that's one good looking bike!

Ps: See? it tastes better and it looks 'almost' as good!

Last edited by Mr.Ed; 24-01-2014 at 04:43 PM.

What no half coloured rims (thank God) .....Looks great.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Hahahaha! Yep, that's excellent.

What a softy Marshy... Doing it for the kids.

You're going to send the hit rate on their website through the roof and they'll have no idea why.
    2004 Suzuki Gixxer 600 Clubsport #59

That looks great i would have that on my gsxr.

Love the stripes on the tank and tail fairing but i'm sure that Peps is illegal in NSW

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    It's Engrish for Pepsi. F@#king painters f&$ked up, and I hoped nobody would notice (although I noticed straight away). I was gonna reject them, but they look so good otherwise....
    That is hirarious ...

The red problem was the colour map ... I thort when we used imagemagick we resolved it? I checked and it's set under options image ... maybe the path is wrong? I can't ssh on to check anymore ... probably when you rebuilt you didn't bring over my old id? And the vps password has changed from what I last new. Email me the new one and I'll take a peek and see if I can get the reds to be red.

That bike sure is pretty ... but it's only the backup ??? .. Any updated photos of your new weapon?

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    That is hirarious ...

The red problem was the colour map ... I thort when we used imagemagick we resolved it? I checked and it's set under options image ... maybe the path is wrong? I can't ssh on to check anymore ... probably when you rebuilt you didn't bring over my old id? And the vps password has changed from what I last new. Email me the new one and I'll take a peek and see if I can get the reds to be red.

That bike sure is pretty ... but it's only the backup ??? .. Any updated photos of your new weapon?
    Nah, we are still using Image Magick, which is why the image upload broke after a reinstall - IM wasn't actually installed!

I switched the fairing over from the old bike to the new one. So that's actually the new bike in the pics. But, confusingly, that's not the race fairing for next week either. And two more painted R6 fairings arrived in the last couple of days, with more coming, so I now have more choice than I know what to do with! Anyone want to buy a new, cool painted R6 fairing? Colin Edwards NGM Mobile one looks great! And there's a red & black one too (Fong design, but red instead of orange).

Nah, we are still using Image Magick, which is why the image upload broke after a reinstall - IM wasn't actually installed!

I switched the fairing over from the old bike to the new one. So that's actually the new bike in the pics. But, confusingly, that's not the race fairing for next week either. And two more painted R6 fairings arrived in the last couple of days, with more coming, so I now have more choice than I know what to do with! Anyone want to buy a new, cool painted R6 fairing? Colin Edwards NGM Mobile one looks great! And there's a red & black one too (Fong design, but red instead of orange).
    Nick, what camera / phone did you use for those shots?

Point-and-shoot Panasonic.

just get some blue stripes the same thickness of the letters or letter I and they would still fit on the end of peps .
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Quote Originally Posted by BoB View Post
    just get some blue stripes the same thickness of the letters or letter I and they would still fit on the end of peps .
    you pay for a service it should be rite

Quote Originally Posted by BoB View Post
    Yep, will do that. I've got some blue vinyl here somewhere anyway, so it's only a 5 minute job. TBH, I'm not that fussed about it. If it wasn't pointed out to you, you'd hardly notice. Particularly in the flesh, as it looks so fricken good!! The paintwork is just unreal.

Quote Originally Posted by shippy__ View Post
    you pay for a service it should be rite
    It totally depends on how much you pay

It totally depends on how much you pay
    Agree to a point... if you're the one getting paid then it's your job to do it right. Otherwise, don't even get into it. I had a mechanic (car) tell me that the reason the ball joint failed again in less than (kid you not) 30 days was because of how much he charged me. Basically gave me the 'you get what you pay for'.

IMHO it's one thing to provide the cheapest you can, it's something else to sell garbage and pretend that it is good enough and then put a low price on it. Funny thing is, in the case above I didn't even ask for a discount or negotiated on the price. Just paid what he quoted for it.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 25-01-2014 at 09:55 PM.

Ha! Great story Ed! Well, not a good outcome for you in that case, but an apt example to illustrate the point. Totally agree with the sentiment.

Don't let wetty see that. You won't hear the end of it haha

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Don't let wetty see that. You won't hear the end of it haha
    hahahaha tell me about it... but I rarely negotiate on the price of services. Now if he wants to sell me a set of fairings there'll be some haggling.

regardless of mistakes I do like those peps fairings though

Not so happy days today. I guess the whole PEPS thing is moot now....

So, Mstevo, it turns out your prediction was correct, and that long shift rod combined with the ultra-flex of the ValterMoto rearsets meant that the bike badly cut out in the middle of turn 5 (it had missed there a couple of times on previous laps - nowhere else - so clearly the combo of things wasn't working right), spitting me off and sending the shiny new bike, new fairings, new race suit, new boots, and new gloves spinning and rolling into the gravel on the outside of T5 exit. I could've cried, honestly.

The bike (I don't think it's actually that bad):

That bloody case saver wasn't glued on very well???? And there looked like oil on the case ... is it cracked?

Yep, the stator cover is worn through and leaking oil. I only hope it hasn't damaged the block (as happened to my old bike). It was stuck on with saliva, as far as I can tell. There's no adhesive residue on either the stator cover or the cf slider. I still haven't got it out of the trailer for a closer look.....

R6
    Ahh no way, Spewin man. At least your ok. Bike - easy fix, Body - not so much

not good and so close to the first round :-(

you'll have some late nights this week getting it back together

and your heel, any problems there?

That problem with the quickshifter was deadly in your situation mine was much more frequent and it didn't catch me out apart from a few "OH SHIT" wobbles on the first lap
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

Very unfortunate and unlucky Nick. Upside is you and the bike seem to have come out relatively ok. So how was it feeling prior to the mishap?

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Quote Originally Posted by senator8 View Post
    So how was it feeling prior to the mishap?
    I'd hardly done any laps on it, so it was difficult to tell. The motor didn't blow me away - my old bike has more upper-midrange/lower-top-end, and felt more 'punchy'. But I hadn't cranked up the new one yet. Wade reckons I wasn't revving it enough, and that it needs to be sky-high (like, in the overrev area of a stock motor) to deliver full power. But mostly the rearsets were waaaaaaaay to high and far back for me, especially with a left foot that won't bend properly, so it just felt uncomfortable. Once I've sorted out all those little niggles, I'm sure I'll start to ride it properly and really enjoy it. The front end felt great!

is that the bike you brining to play this weekend or you just using your oldie but goodie?

Dunno yet. The forks in my old bike are still no good, despite another rebuild. So either the new one, or the old one with the forks out of the new bike. Depends on how the rebuild goes, and what happens on Friday at the ARDC day

Bike was looking real good Nick, sorry to hear about the crash! As long as you and the ankle are ok!!

Damn that sucks Marshy :( That cover failing like that really is alarming!
    +1 on hoping your ankle is ok!
    Pronounced Kang-Ah not Kang-Gah

Quote Originally Posted by KANGA View Post
    Damn that sucks Marshy :( That cover failing like that really is alarming!
    +1 on hoping your ankle is ok!
    Im not a fan of the carbon covers, I had one on my old R6 that disintegrated pretty quick. The NRC & GB ones are the go

Quote Originally Posted by mercho View Post
    Im not a fan of the carbon covers, I had one on my old R6 that disintegrated pretty quick. The NRC & GB ones are the go
    Just plain carbon fibre stuck on is useless. Some of the proper ones bolt on, are Kevlar lined and mine also have fiberous filler behind the carbon which works very well.

Hey Marshy, sorry to hear your bad luck.....not sure if you remember but my R6 was cutting out intermittently last year. I narrowed it down to the quick shifter (HM). All I did to fix the issue was adjust the sensitivity (less sensitive) of the QS until there was no issue. The QS was so sensitive that it would cut the engine from the bike vibrations. I'm sure the long shift rod would amplify the issue.

Not so happy days today. I guess the whole PEPS thing is moot now....

So, Mstevo, it turns out your prediction was correct, and that long shift rod combined with the ultra-flex of the ValterMoto rearsets meant that the bike badly cut out in the middle of turn 5 (it had missed there a couple of times on previous laps - nowhere else - so clearly the combo of things wasn't working right), spitting me off and sending the shiny new bike, new fairings, new race suit, new boots, and new gloves spinning and rolling into the gravel on the outside of T5 exit. I could've cried, honestly.

The bike (I don't think it's actually that bad):

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
    Hey Marshy, sorry to hear your bad luck.....not sure if you remember but my R6 was cutting out intermittently last year. I narrowed it down to the quick shifter (HM). All I did to fix the issue was adjust the sensitivity (less sensitive) of the QS until there was no issue. The QS was so sensitive that it would cut the engine from the bike vibrations. I'm sure the long shift rod would amplify the issue.
    Yep, that was exactly the problem, and those rearsets (that I've never used before) are soooooo 'flexy' - you can majorly bend them just pressing on them with your hand. Rubbish stuff, although a brand name.....

The combination of the two is what did it. It will be rectified for the weekend

Got to give PGM a run for his money

He had nuthin on me in Nov. But he was quicker in Feb last year, so I'm sure he will have pulled out the stops this time!!

Cheapo Chinese rearsets are the way to go!!! They are fine on my bike, no flex, and built like concrete blocks!!!!
    Dad has the Valtermoto rearsets too, they are flexy but are also comfy, grippy and strong (withstood a few crashes and have not bent!!!! :P)

Little Mick can prob shed a better light on this than me because:

a) he's an engineer
    b) he has my old Chinese rearsets
    c) Unlike me he doesn't seem to suffer from Alzheirmer's... at least not that I remember.

But yeah, the set I bought looked good and all but then the peg would spin when I put weight on it and then I crashed on it (no idea how related the 2 events were) but then I think Mick fixed it... and then something else f@#!$ up by itself. So basically, I wouldn't recommend it. I will forever recommend Vortex though. Not much more and the folding toepegs alone are worth the extra $ you spend as it means you have a better chance of not destroying your quickshifter and most of the time you can even keep riding without having to replace anything.

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    Cheapo Chinese rearsets are the way to go!!! They are fine on my bike, no flex, and built like concrete blocks!!!!
    Dad has the Valtermoto rearsets too, they are flexy but are also comfy, grippy and strong (withstood a few crashes and have not bent!!!! :P)
    Didn't Marshy say he thought his T1 crash last year was due to the inside "Cheap Chinese" peg snapping clean off and his foot / boot falling into the spinning rear wheel ... ???

yes but that was a cheapo Chinese REPLACEMENT OEM peg, these are full cheapo Chinese all billet T6 alum rearsets

Quote Originally Posted by Carl-52 View Post
    yes but that was a cheapo Chinese REPLACEMENT OEM peg, these are full cheapo Chinese all billet T6 alum rearsets
    And those are the ones I bought... lol

Thread Information