Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Phat3R gets an R6..... finally!

Sorry for the delay, mate. Work has continued, albeit slowly! I did a bunch very early this morning. The clip-ons are properly finished now, and new Renthal race grips, and adjustable-length foldable levers, and as a little extra, some shiny lever guards (in a rather fetching black/silver).

The only thing left is to put the rest of the fairing together and onto the bike, and a bit of stickering. Half a day, tops.

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Can you put some really fucked gearing on it so he doesn't blast right past me PLZ
    do a burnout

Only 3 spark plugs. Prob still faster than the old girls.
    do a burnout

is that coolant i still see?

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Only 3 spark plugs. Prob still faster than the old girls.
    Even with 2, it'd be faster. Stop fighting inevitability.

Quote Originally Posted by shippy__ View Post
    is that coolant i still see?
    That's about the only thing I haven't done. I figured if it's almost 6 months before his first race meet, it might as well stay with coolant in it for now.

haha r6 parallel twin
    do a burnout

haha r6 parallel twin
    Technically, that'd be a 300.....

Should enter a zx6rr running on two cylinders in the ninja 300 cup
    do a burnout

Should enter a zx6rr running on two cylinders in the ninja 300 cup
    Ideas man

Did I mention that I finished the build this arvo??

Except for some stickers that I haven't cut out yet, it's ready to race. Pics tomorrow.

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Did I mention that I finished the build this arvo??

Except for some stickers that I haven't cut out yet, it's ready to race. Pics tomorrow.
    Lookz uber sexy Nick ... 6 sleeps to go till I am back in Syderney on good Friday. I hope to be at your place with trailer by 3pm.

I'm going to be shitting bricks riding that thing the first time! That extra speed is going to take some getting use to ... it'll make the Gixxer feel like I've been riding a 300!

MEGA called & asked to move me up to red group for both days as green was full ... 11 weeks since I have ridden around there ... hope I can remember which way round it goes.

Dan you'll probably still beat me on your old gal. I had a think and I'm going to keep my old Gixxer for a while longer. Backup / rain bike and maybe my WA track bike if I end up back here this year.

The speed difference won't be as big as you think... I had a go on a 01 600F4i and I was impressed at how good it was for what was supposed to be an 'old bike'. They do feel heavier but powerwise there's not THAT much in it. You'd get a bigger shock going from a 600 to a 750 from the same vintage, and even that is not much really. Older 600s also have a much more forgiving powerband which the new R6 definitely does not have... hahaha but it rewards the skillful.

Having said that, make no mistake, newer models are faster. Definitely.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 12-04-2014 at 10:59 PM.

Wade was doing 42s on the old girl

The pre-modern cbr?
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    The speed difference won't be as big as you think... I had a go on a 01 600F4i and I was impressed at how good it was for what was supposed to be an 'old bike'. They do feel heavier but powerwise there's not THAT much in it. You'd get a bigger shock going from a 600 to a 750 from the same vintage, and even that is not much really. Older 600s also have a much more forgiving powerband which the new R6 definitely does not have... hahaha but it rewards the skillful.

I'd be surprised if my K3 600 even had 100hp. Had it dynotuned with a period PC3 and it had 102 but I took it off after i diagnosed it as what was causing a flat spot around 8500rpm.

Any newer 600 is putting out between 110-115 at the wheels right? Quite a few kilos lighter as well. When I come out of 12 and have to drag a R6 up the straight I'd lose close to 100m by the end.
    do a burnout

I'd be surprised if my K3 600 even had 100hp. Had it dynotuned with a period PC3 and it had 102 but I took it off after i diagnosed it as what was causing a flat spot around 8500rpm.

Any newer 600 is putting out between 110-115 at the wheels right? Quite a few kilos lighter as well. When I come out of 12 and have to drag a R6 up the straight I'd lose close to 100m by the end.
    Dunno what you mean Dan? (3m50s)

3m50s

Yeah totally agree re the power band ... the old K1 Gixxer 600 is like a 250. Probably how I get such good tyre wear.

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Dunno what you mean Dan? (3m50s)

3m50s

If you're losing that much time on the straight I'd add a tooth on the rear sprocket if I were you... at least till you improve your speed around T12. Even 20hp wouldn't explain that big a difference I think... not if you both corner at the same speed and pick up the throttle at the same time. I lose less than that to most 1000's I think!!! A 750, which has about 20hp on the 600s, won't even pull away till we get to the stands and even then it's just a small gap. And I'm not even good at T12...

Gearing can make a HUGE difference there as seen on the video below... it happens more than once in the video but if you want to cut to the chase, go to the 9:20 mark and look at the 'power' difference to a 09 R6!! There's no way my ZX6 is that much faster. Even at the end of the first lap, you can see there's a difference there and motorbiker's bike is a K5 600 if I'm not mistaken but I can only really close the gap properly once he rolls off into T1. I was gaining on him, of course, but there was also drafting at play there.

Last edited by Mr.Ed; 13-04-2014 at 01:10 PM.

I noticed a MASSIVE difference just going from a K8 600 to an 08 R6. It was heaps more powerful and handled muuuuuch better. The biggest difference I noticed was just how quickly it revved!! I kept hitting the limiter as I wasn't used to an engine spinning up so quickly.

And yes, Phat3R, that's a massive speed difference in your vid there. Welcome to the world of UA.

If you're losing that much time on the straight I'd add a tooth on the rear sprocket if I were you...
    Totally agree that gearing makes all the difference. And I was gonna say that before, but IIRC I changed the gearing on Rick's gixxer just prior to that video.... It looks like it's still geared too long though!

TBH, and I mean no disrespect Rick, but it's probably geared just right and he rolled on a bit late on that video (or rolled on at the right time but too slow to WOT) ... if he keeps his speed up and the revs above 11K around T12 (that's usually my target there even though I rarely achieve it ahahaha) he won't lose half of what he lost on that video.

Ps: It's impossible to see on the video but I also get the impression he might be short shifting a bit... which, on the 600s I rode, is BIG no no. Anything below, say... 500rpm to the redline, and you're losing time.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 13-04-2014 at 01:18 PM.

It was heaps more powerful and handled muuuuuch better. The biggest difference I noticed was just how quickly it revved!! I kept hitting the limiter as I wasn't used to an engine spinning up so quickly.
    100000% agree re the handling but the power only 50% hahaha When I went from the 03 600RR to the 06 R6 I was hitting that limiter so hard I started calling my bike Rihanna... but to me, that was because the RR would NEVER rev anywhere near that fast/aggressively over 12K whereas the R6 would just have the 'turbo lag' feel and then BOOOOM! So my impression was that they made similar power but they delivered it in completely different ways and it was taking me forever to adjust.

But yeah, the handling is miles apart.

Ok, back on topic

Heat shield in, then the bellypan could go on and the stickering begin.

Doneski! Thoughts, comments etc?

No idea what Crom is but the whole thing gets my approval, it looks sexy as!

No idea what Crom is
    Me neither, but he wanted it. TBH, I haven't figured the name 'Phat3R' out either....
    Last edited by Marshy; 13-04-2014 at 11:21 PM. Reason: Clarity of meaning....

Nick, sitting in pub in Perth watching WSBK on TV. Got your SMS and logged in on mobile.

Fark me drunk. That is one purtty bike, i've got a grin from ear to ear. Marshy you are a master craftsman!

FYI: Crom is the god of Conan the Barbarian.

Conan, what is best in life?
    To crush your enemies,
    To see them run before you,
    And to hear the lamentation of their women.

May not be very PC, but then neither am I.

5 more sleeps.
    Last edited by Phat3R; 13-04-2014 at 11:16 PM.

Mate..looks great.
    Now the pressure is on for me too bling mine like that.
    I think its road trip..ASAP.
    Good job Nick.

TBH, and I mean no disrespect Rick, but it's probably geared just right and he rolled on a bit late on that video (or rolled on at the right time but too slow to WOT) ... if he keeps his speed up and the revs above 11K around T12 (that's usually my target there even though I rarely achieve it ahahaha) he won't lose half of what he lost on that video.

Ps: It's impossible to see on the video but I also get the impression he might be short shifting a bit... which, on the 600s I rode, is BIG no no. Anything below, say... 500rpm to the redline, and you're losing time.
    Thx Ed, some good advice in there ...

FYI: Crom is the god of Conan the Barbarian.

Conan, what is best in life?
    To crush your enemies,
    To see them run before you,
    And to hear the lamentation of their women.
    Coooooool!!

looks very nice, great build

Thx Ed, some good advice in there ...
    Ok, now this is what I always worry about... I posted my opinion and given my experience/track record that's HARDLY an advice! hahahahaha

My one and only advice would be to swap the bolts on the side of the farings for Dzus 'cause I know how much easier those are to play with. But that's it, no riding advice from me! Chances are, you're faster than me anyway.

Plus, even if you do go slow around the track, with the new farings you know you'll do in style... and in the end of the day, that's what really matters.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 14-04-2014 at 01:13 PM.

Ok, now this is what I always worry about... I posted my opinion and given my experience/track record that's HARDLY an advice! hahahahaha

My one and only advice would be to swap the bolts on the side of the farings for Dzus 'cause I know how much easier those are to play with. But that's it, no riding advice from me! Chances are, you're faster than me anyway.

Plus, even if you do go slow around the track, with the new farings you know you'll do in style... and in the end of the day, that's what really matters.
    All good Ed, Mate I'm so green with track bikes that I'll even take advice from a Kawapowa rider. ;-)

Seriously though, watched the vid you put up and agree the Gixxer gearing could do with some more tweaks / twerks plus I should try and rev it out more to the line. My T12 could definitely do with more work ... (lets not forget T2-T11) ... that's the fun though ... always learning! :-)

I look back at what I was doing 12 months ago and go WTF was I thinking!

At least you were riding 12mths ago!!!

What times were you doing there, if you don't mind me asking!?

Ed I gotta big jinks with the timers, If they r on the bike, I bin it and break em, so I only get times during races. (Where I also bin it and break em if they are on the bike. ;-) Like the $400 one I bought off Ewen ... been 1/2 ground away.)

I iz a slow old bugga ... best on the N Crt was mid 1:12 ... from last STG meet, and GP was 1:50 something from STG meet before Xmas. Hope to beat those on the R6 ... hope to ... but if I just 'feel' fast and purrty that will also do. :-)

Now that's a pretty bike !

Looks awesome rick! Should have plenty of HP on tap now

Ed I gotta big jinks with the timers, If they r on the bike, I bin it and break em, so I only get times during races. (Where I also bin it and break em if they are on the bike. ;-) Like the $400 one I bought off Ewen ... been 1/2 ground away.)

I iz a slow old bugga ... best on the N Crt was mid 1:12 ... from last STG meet, and GP was 1:50 something from STG meet before Xmas. Hope to beat those on the R6 ... hope to ... but if I just 'feel' fast and purrty that will also do. :-)

Pffft... you'll smash that on the R6, don't worry. I'd say there's at least a couple of secs just on handling alone... no more 'waiting for the bike to settle' makes a lot of difference.

My one and only advice would be to swap the bolts on the side of the farings for Dzus
    They are Dzus (quarter turn), just without the D-ring, which I reckon looks ugly. As an aside, I also reckon it's a complete waste of time having D-ring fasteners on the bellypan but then bolts on either side with hex head screws!! It completely defeats the purpose of having tool-less D-ring fasteners. So I figure if you need an Allen key to undo the other bolts, why not have the same size Allen key head quarter-turn Dzus fasteners? You only need to carry the one Allen key, and it's still as quick and convenient as D-ring fasteners but without the ugly flappy D-ring bits.

I've seen some people put in waaaaaay too much effort to replace the hex bolts with Dzus as well (which then really does make removing the bellypan tool-less), but I don't have that kind of time to spare.....

But hey, I'm open to being flamed on this one!

Looking good mate

Looks fantastic!
    do a burnout

They are Dzus (quarter turn), just without the D-ring, which I reckon looks ugly. As an aside, I also reckon it's a complete waste of time having D-ring fasteners on the bellypan but then bolts on either side with hex head screws!! It completely defeats the purpose of having tool-less D-ring fasteners. So I figure if you need an Allen key to undo the other bolts, why not have the same size Allen key head quarter-turn Dzus fasteners? You only need to carry the one Allen key, and it's still as quick and convenient as D-ring fasteners but without the ugly flappy D-ring bits.

I've seen some people put in waaaaaay too much effort to replace the hex bolts with Dzus as well (which then really does make removing the bellypan tool-less), but I don't have that kind of time to spare.....

But hey, I'm open to being flamed on this one!
    The farings I had on the R6 was one of those that allows you to remove the sides separately from the top farings (Racers Edge I think it was) and I freaking LOVED the Dzus. On the ZX6R it would be helpful to have them for the bellypan but I definitely see your point re the hex bolts/tool. I also would like to highlight that it was an 'advice' and as such it probably means I haven't even done it to my own bike yet but wish I did... hahahaha

LOL, I wasn't sure whether it was an 'advice' or an 'opinion'

It's a complex process... Hahaha

GB racing hands down

Yeah, GB. But NOT the KIT one!! You need the Stock one.

Call me, cos I have a lead on a cheap set....

Just 'cause I crash a lot, woodcraft!!! And this is just an opinion although it's based on my experience with both covers... And crashes. :(

Yeah, GB. But NOT the KIT one!! You need the Stock one.

Call me, cos I have a lead on a cheap set....
    you cant tell half a story wats the diff ?

There is a photo there of the stock and kit covers ... [I didn't know there was a diff either]

http://www.gbracing.eu/info/Products.23.html

Not only do we manufacture Secondary Engine Covers for the Stock covers, we also manufacture some Secondary Engine Covers for the factory Kit covers, normally used on Superbikes.
    Last edited by Phat3R; 15-04-2014 at 04:44 PM.

Thread Information