Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Clubsport Build- Finally......

Clubsport Build- Finally......

Its great to get home after a month away and find that most of the bits for the new project have arrived in my absence.

As you may recall i picked up an 08 plated 09 from the auctions the week before i went away and spent a night stripping it down to nothing.
    Judging by the flat centred touring tyres it had done a lot of km's but for the most part remained pretty well stock. A good place to start.

Its personality indicated that it was a commuter bike that had never been thrashed but was definitely well loved. Time and the Dyno results will tell.
    While i've been away the engine has been ripped out and sent away for a freshen up and the frame gone off to Laurie Alderton for a straightening and checking.

The plan is to retire my 2010 R6 back to Road duties and eventually sell it and buy a new roadie later in the year.

in the meantime the next step is to strip the panda down and remove all of the race goodies on it like the Ohlins, Brembo, Power Commander, Full akra system, quick shifter etc and begin fitting up the Clubsport bike which will finally be a dedicated track/ race bike.

I should be able to shave a few more kilo's off it now with the YEC loom and ECU, motoholders subframe etc. Can't wait to get building and then get riding again.

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Saturnalian; 12-04-2014 at 02:48 PM.

Look forward to seeing it complete!

The aus post parcel guy must hate you.

Going to be weapon!
    do a burnout

Niiiice!! I'm looking forward to a build thread that isn't mine
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Clubsport Build- Finally......

Nice!!!

Hmmmmm I'm looking to get another trackie (R6 and enter some national rounds (forgoing the idea of stepping up to a 1000cc))

Along with a dirty.

I need to win lotto

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    R6 and enter some national rounds
    Awesome!! It's not too late to enter ASBK.....

I'll have a very well looked after 2010 R6 up for sale soon if that helps Chubb...!!

I was soooo tempted to call Stewie up today and ask about his 07 R6.

I at least want a 08 and up

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    Awesome!! It's not too late to enter ASBK.....
    All in preparation for next year!!!

you could have both

Haha I shouldn't have sold you my old bike!!!

got some nice 08 cams for that

My championship-winning bike is now for sale. Price depends on required spec, but it's not gonna be cheep cheep.

Let's not get carried away. It's only March 2014.

Well, here we go...... Tonight is my first night off daycare mode since I got home from tour.
    Engine is underway. Thank you Wet4U.
    Time to rip the bouncys out of both bikes and send them to Zeno for a freshen up.
    In the meantime I'll start cleaning and fitting whatever bits I can without wheels on the ground.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Saturnalian; 12-04-2014 at 02:54 PM.

Not much to report even though it seems i've spent every spare minute of my time trying to get 1 ½ bikes turned into 2.

As suspected the engine indicated that the bike had done about 50-60,000 kms , but never gone above 7,500rpm or out of third gear.
    Dude must have been huge. Have a look at those almost rectangular touring tyres on there. The engine is almost done and should be back soon.
    The Carbon build up inside was a match for the atmosphere over Shanghai on a bad day.

As you can see from the last pic I got the frame back from Aldertons, after having some minor tweaks all round to get it back to 100% true.
    Then spent a very educating evening ripping the forks and shocks out of both bikes while trying not to damage myself or the parts. Bring on the hover bikes.

I've gone as far as removing the
    swing arm and linkages and cleaning it all out and lubricating everything and replacing all of the oil seals and tired bits.
    The electronics have been ripped out of the Panda now. Power commander, Quickshifter, Gear indicator, Fan switch, Shift -I
    shift light etc... and holes drilled in the new Carbon bits for air temp and pressure sensors
    As well as the exhaust i have refit all of the original still brand new plastic parts that where taken off the bike when i first bought it so i can transfer all of the Carbon Fibre bits to the project.

Still waiting on the return of 2 sets of forks and 2 rebuilt shocks so until i have a rolling chassis again i spend most of my time cleaning every part that will be used again and test fitting a few of the new bits and pieces.

I'm well over reconditioning Brake calipers and disc rotors at the moment but i guess the results speak for themselves.

Away working again until the 23rd of the month but heard a rumour from the missus that there were an awful lot of small packages at the post office for me this week so hopefully with a bit of time at home soon it will all come together fairly quickly.

I realise the photo's of throttle bodies and a radiator are pretty ho hum but the before shots were horrendously different.

Latersz

Last edited by Saturnalian; 12-04-2014 at 02:53 PM.

Is that a brake hose for a thumb-operated rear brake I spot there??

Is that a brake hose for a thumb-operated rear brake I spot there??
    Indeed it is.....

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    Indeed it is.....
    What's wrong with your foot???? :p

I'm better with my hands......

Indeed it is.....
    watchin this space with interest :-)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

its going to be very nice

I'm kinda lucky there's a 6 month gap in the calendar at the moment. Itching to get into it some more. Fancy a few more Phillip Island meets this year Mark?

I'm kinda lucky there's a 6 month gap in the calendar at the moment. Itching to get into it some more. Fancy a few more Phillip Island meets this year Mark?Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    1st of June race meet is my Bday weekend and the one in September I'll be OS so doesn't look good this year :-(

What's the race meet on June 1?

Quote Originally Posted by Spilly1199 View Post
    What's the race meet on June 1?
    Hartwell MCC round 4

Hartwell MCC round 4
    Well there you go, only my first year racing, I've never heard of Hartwell until now. Just had a quick look at their site, are the races / regs similar to St George?

Hartwell MCC round 4
    Hmmm sounds like fun

Hartwell MCC round 4
    I like the fact that my bike is pre-modern with them. I just don't like the fact that we don't have enough money at the moment to go down and race that weekend.

Anyone want to sponsor me? There is a guarantee of more advertising space on the back of the leathers than anyone else.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

I'd run pre-modern as well. StG should take note!
    do a burnout

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    StG has clubsport. There's no point in further dividing the fields.

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Keen to go down for it Dan? Works for me!

Victoria pre modern has a 10 year rule, St George Club sport has a 5 year rule
    I intend on doing more Victorian races next year as the 05 R1 will qualify

StG has clubsport. There's no point in further dividing the fields.
    Except that '99 - '04 bikes would have a category to be competitive in. They are a bit out-matched when put up against '08 model ex-superbike/supersport bikes.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    Victoria pre modern has a 10 year rule, St George Club sport has a 5 year rule
    I intend on doing more Victorian races next year as the 05 R1 will qualify
    5 years isn't really that old when you think about it, especially when you're allowed to tinker with the bikes some. I reckon 10 is more like it, would make it more affordable for more riders

Don't anyone go changing any rules for now ...

Quote Originally Posted by shippy__ View Post
    Hmmm sounds like fun

I'll see how my schedule pans out. Are you a potential ?!

I was until I looked at the budget, so no.

I have always had in my mind when st George is at Bradford Ill try to stay a week before or after and get some time on Philip island

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    Except that '99 - '04 bikes would have a category to be competitive in. They are a bit out-matched when put up against '08 model ex-superbike/supersport bikes.
    Amen!
    do a burnout

Been doing lots of little bits and pieces in between work trips. Keep forgetting to take pics but once it all starts getting put back together i'll get snap happy.
    Here's a couple of updates anyways...

Did a test fit up on the Motoholders subframe and with a bit of trimming all seems to sit in there nicely.
    I've ordered a couple of 2mm carbon fibre sheets to add a plate behind the inner tray for fixing the PCV to.

Knocked up a template plate for the fan switch on the triple clamp and made the extension looms for the new fan harness.
    Found an awesome little company that makes switched and direct wired harness/fuse boxes to order. so each fan will still have the original 15 Amp fuse inline with a relay to the dash switch.

Also made the loom up for the RFID ignition contact on the triple clamp where the ignition barrel normally goes. The YEC harness setup actually makes the wiring for this a breeze once you think it through.
    Did other stuff, mostly more cleaning, sanding , polishing while i work out which fairing pieces, fenders to use from the pile for each bike.

Fancy bits and pieces Jamie.

Can't wait to see it live in person

a lot of thought has gone into it

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Fancy bits and pieces Jamie.

Can't wait to see it live in person
    Can't wait to get it out there and start doing some laps again with you guys. How will i get into the 4Hr if thats the total amount of riding i've done in the last year.
    I'm away again from the 5th May for 10 days so fingers crossed i see my suspenders back this week so i can start getting it all back together and g4t some track time at the end of May

Looks like an awesome build, Jamie. I'm very keen to see it too!!! I'm loving the rfid! You might need to do a 'how-to' on that.....

This looks like it's going to be a pretty serious bit of kit mate!
    do a burnout

Fucking horn!

Well, everything up until now has just been dicking about.....

The suspenders are back and my excitement peaked yesterday when i collected the "new" engine for the project.
    The little things that i love, like right down to replacing the totally fucked exhaust flange bolts for stainless. Looks and longevity.

Its basically full steam ahead now as apart from cleaning bits and pieces there was very little left that i could do until we had a rolling chassis again.
    I managed to get a shock back into the 2010 last night. I'm away again for two weeks from Monday so i think the roadie needs to go back together first and get pushed out of the way.

Also got my carbon fibre sheet this week and started smashing out mounting plates and backing plates for switches etc.
    I think the Triple clamps have come up quite nicely with the electronics fitted now.

Once i get back form work it'll be shed time and nothing but for a few days as i get both of them together.
    Here's hoping the project will see the track at the end of May....

Everything is soooo clean!! Awesome mate

It does look very very good

Well, i've managed to spend 2 full nights on it so far since i got home.

Was devastated on Friday afternoon when i dropped off my all black RK GXW chain to get cut down for fitting and Bikeshop dude cut 8 links off it instead of 6.
    Literally devastated. So that took 4 hours out of yesterday while i drove into town and bought a replacement. Didn't have the mental energy to take it up with him yet.
    I think that can wait til after the build is finished.

Here's the SES race products thumb brake in test fitting number #1 of about #200.
    Its a very neat looking unit but i've found the fork attachment design doesn't allow a lot of flexibility in movement or positioning.
    Especially with the taper at the top of the forks, you can't go to far down or suddenly you have an ill fitting bracket.

In hindsight, i would have taken a fork and measured the diameter at different points on the taper to choose a bracket that sat somewhere in the middle.
    Sounds like going overboard......the biggest thing about this build i've learned so far. As soon as go custom, the time just disappears as you keep test fitting, spacing, measuring moving so everything works together

In order to get everything to work and move freely from full lock to full lock, switches, master cylinders, reservoirs, levers, throttle, more switches, fairing stay etc. i spent 9 hours over 2 days.
    The photo's above are snapshots of this progression.
    The result is fantastic but it also means with the ½ mm tolerances and clearances everywhere that if i binned it i definitely wouldn't be straight back out there.
    Looks fucking awesome though doesn't it.

This is the carbonin Fairing stay with OEM dash, temp and air pressure sensor fitted.
    The Ecliptech Shift light is integrated into the gauge cluster wiring with a harness from Wayne Howe at Riderlogic so the OEM loom plugs straight into the gauge cluster still.

So i have a rolling chassis again with the newly serviced Ohlins kit. Front brakes bled and the ancillary fairing bits all repolished and fitted.
    At work today so tonight i'll knock up a Carbon fibre tray for the Powercommander to sit in and fit the Subframe and i do believe we're ready for the engine to go in tomorrow.

I've also managed to almost rebuild the original bike back into a roadie with lots of cleaning, rebuilt stock suspension etc.
    I can't bring myself to take pictures of it now that its got a stock exhaust on it again. It makes me wonder how long i'll keep it before trading up.

I do know that Project Clubsport will be my Race/ Track bike for many years to come.......

Thread Information