Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, new member here.

Hey, new member here.

Hi all,

My names Nathan, live northern beaches, and have done 3 trackdays since december, but used to do a few but over a decade ago. In fact, the last ones I did would have been in 2001! Used to have a GSXR750 back then, now own an R1. Long time between drinks, but good god I'm thirsty!

Last day was March15th, was a hell of a lot of fun.

I have to say, i very much prefer GP circuit, not sure if it's because I remember it and fear change? Or just don't particularly like the new stuff.

Out of the three days I've done, two have been GP. My first day back on the track was full circuit, so maybe now I have my eye back in a little I will enjoy the full circuit a bit more.

Guess I'll find out soon, as I'm doing both saturday and monday this coming weekend

Have been reading lots on this site, lots of useful info!

I am hoping to get into club racing either later this year or next, one question regarding that, what class would I race in? 2004 R1.

Cheers and thanks for the site!

Nath

Hey Nathan!

Good to have you here. You're not alone - most people muuuuuch prefer the GP circuit, and not even just us purists that don't like change. The new bit is fiddly and slow, and kills the 'flow of the Creek'.

On an 04 R1, you'll be able to run in Clubsport Unlimited at St George, which is for bikes more than 5 years old. Of course, you can also enter regular 1000s too

Keen an eye out for a TT garage announcement, or just members posting which garage they are aiming for on the day. We usually congregate around garages 37 to 39, but it's not a hard-and-fast rule. Me and some of the guys are racing at Wakefield this weekend, but there's a bunch that are going to the Creek instead, including Phat3R on his shiny new R6, so look out for that - and see the build thread here: http://www.tarmactalk.com/forum/show...-an-R6-finally!

Catch ya at the track.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Welcome Nathan

Hey thanks guys,

Just bought spare wheels and wets for the bike, so that pretty much guarantees it won't rain this weekend!

Only a few more sleeps...

Interesting what you were saying about the new bit of track Marshy, for me, it seemed like it was a bunch of weird corners that I just got out of the way before getting back to the fun stuff. No idea where to brake, or what line works for that downhill left hairpin thing? Oh well, probably learn it a bit better this weekend!

The R6 in that link looks great!

Quote Originally Posted by zoidberg View Post
    Just bought spare wheels and wets for the bike, so that pretty much guarantees it won't rain this weekend!
    Yep, that'll do it!

Look out for Rick (Phat3R) and some of the other guys.

Nath,

Just to let you know early don't believe any of the shit that they say about me...I'm really a nice bloke just there here trying my best.

Just watch out for the dirty pommie who lives in your area (BOB) (a true trouble maker)

Enjoy your Stay.

Hi Nathan

Its all lies from baddie, only truth is I live in n.beaches.

Welcome to tarmac talk ..

Enjoy and have fun.

Bob
    Last edited by BoB; 15-04-2014 at 07:20 PM.
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Hey Nathan, we have some guys on this site who used to ride often and always but can't seem to find their bike anymore. (Mr Ed) and then there's Baddie. He occasionally posts pics if a bike he owns but we've never seen him ride it. Stick with BoB. He's a good guy. Permanently lent me his race number because it looked better on my bike. Top bloke. Welcome, Jamie. BTW- Baddie, where is that K&N filter kit you promised me ? And how's your marine carpet burn treating you. Feels like a question I should be asking Tristan.....sorry, back on track. Welcome

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Saturnalian View Post
    BTW- Baddie, where is that K&N filter kit you promised me ?
    Hey, he promised me one too!! I haven't seen it either....

Jamie...stop traveling the world and ill give it too you.
    Nick its already packed for sunday.
    Nath did I mention there a few cry babies on here. .

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    Jamie...stop traveling the world and ill give it too you.
    Yeah I know that but where's my K & N kit

Yeah I know that but where's my K & N kit

HA! I see what you did there

Guess I'll find out soon, as I'm doing both saturday and monday this coming weekend
    My wife and I will be working there Saturday and Monday. She will be up in rego all day and won't get to ride much, but I will be one of the drones checking your wrist band so should get out on the track for a couple of sessions. See you there.
    2011 ZX10R track/race bike
    ZRX1200 road bike
    Period 6 ZXR 750 race bike
    P6 250 production RMX250 motard race bike
    2015 YZ450F Dirt track/motard
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Welcome Nathan, see you there Saturday.

Hi Nathan don't worry too much about what Jamie says his the same as Bladdie just putting pics of bikes up but you never see them at the track hahahaha where as I'm always there but I just crash and get run over or my bikes don't work.

Hahahaha, cheers for the welcomes ladies.

Now you're probably all going to not like this, I have read many mixed reviews on them, but I have a set of Pirelli superbike pro's to go on my bike. I have Metzeler racetec slicks K1 front and K2 rear that are fairly worn, they were on the bike when I bought it. Last track day was my first time ever on slicks and goddamn, I liked them a lot!

I'll take the superbike pros with me and swap them out there if the racetecs start sliding around.

A question though, how the hell do you scrub in a set of slicks? ie, I don't particularly want to wobble around for a session gradually increasing lean angle, but the whole slippery release compound (myth or fact?) thing is in my head. And it's not like I can simply chuck em in my roadbike and go for a couple of laps of McCarrs creek road to get em ready to go?!!

Also, pressures off the warmers, off the track? I'm assuming something along the lines of 28r 30f?

Cheers!

I have been running Bridgestone slicks on my 6th I think and I love them personally I don't think you need to scrub them in after being on warmers for about 20mins I have no problems going straight out on them. I run about 20 in the rear depending on how warm the track gets and 27 in the front. Hope that helps

hah scrubbing in slicks.. go hard from the get go off the tyre warmers!!

I used to so called "scrub in" my tyres on the outlap before the race..

also with the superbike pros you can run them at 28 hot rear and 32 hot front.. do yourself a favour and sell them though.. they're not a highly rated tyre IMO when I used them. Better off with the supercorsa (what I run) or the superbike slicks or the Metzeler racetecs same same

also they need to be on the warmers at least 45mins or till the rim is warm to touch..
    Last edited by chubb; 17-04-2014 at 08:39 AM.

Ha, yeh, that's what I wanted to hear, so off the warmers they're good to go! Slicks are a new animal to me. Oh well, hopefully the superbike pros will do me for a couple of days out there at least.

I really did like the metzeler ractec slicks and will probably get them again when these pro's are done.

Cheers

Talk to Craig White for Metzeler

And Bridgestone hahahaha

If you are worried about the wax on the tyre, just wipe them down with wax and grease remover (Prepsol) before you ride on them. As Chubb said though, there is no need to scrub them in, in fact you should go hard straight off the warmer. If you take it easy for a couple of laps, you will lose some of the heat out of the tyre and will have less grip than you do when you go out hard.

Here's a shot of Leanne on her out lap with a new front tyre on to show you what to do. You can still see what's left of the sticker on the tyre.

Leanne new tyre.jpg
    ZRX1200 road bike
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Ah, nice. Sweet, that's all I wanted to hear. I've always had this paranoia about new tyres on road bikes and taking it easy for the first 50 odd k's for some reason. Someone somewhere along the line drilled it into my brain. Funny, I don't remember any important stuff? That pic with the trace of sticker on the tyre, wow, another myth busted for my thinking!

Chubb, who is Craig White and where would I see him? I'm guessing these superbike pro's will be on the bike for the next four or so days I'm doing, so that should see me out until mid May...

Whites Racing he has a small warehouse in Minto

Thanks Tristan, will check them out.

One more sleep!

Great time out at the creek yesterday! Had a few scary moments here and there and my rear tyre is now pretty much done. No more wear indicators on the left and she was certainly getting slidey out of the left handers in the last couple of sessions!

Can't wait till monday!!! But man oh man, the full circuit is a lot more physical than the GP circuit. I'm hurting today!

Had a great time at the creek over the long weekend, got to ride both Saturday and Monday. Was green group on Saturday, but went to red on Monday after having to many instances of coming across people parked at the entrance to corners.

Apologies to anyone I held up on Monday! I had Metzler racetec slicks on the bike Saturday, but they were done by the end, rear didn't pass scrutinering on Monday. Luckily I had already put some new tyres on spare rims Saturday arvo. Unfortunately they were Pirelli superbike pros. My observation of those tyres, well, the front was great! Never had an issue. Set at 31psi after the first session and it felt really nice. The rear, well, it's not that it was bad and trying to spit me off, but ended up running it at 26psi hot and compared to the worn Metzzeler racetes slick, K2 compound, it just never gave me the drive I was enjoying on the saturday. It squirmed around a bit and got a little slidey, but kind of... Pulse-ey slidey? If that makes sense. Couldn't wind it on any harder, and just couldn't get the drive I wanted!

Anyway, had a great time, met Rob out there, nice to meet you! Full curcuit is a LOT more tiring to ride, and holy shit, some of the quick guys are amazing to be passed by.

Got a nice pic by Ray Oxford, really stoked with my progression since December, can't wait for the next one, May 9th, GP circuit!
    Attached Images Attached Images

Sounds like a classic SBK PRO experience. Looking good though mate!
    do a burnout

Hey Nathan, we have some guys on this site who used to ride often and always but can't seem to find their bike anymore. (Mr Ed) and then there's Baddie. He occasionally posts pics if a bike he owns but we've never seen him ride it. Stick with BoB. He's a good guy. Permanently lent me his race number because it looked better on my bike. Top bloke. Welcome, Jamie. BTW- Baddie, where is that K&N filter kit you promised me ? And how's your marine carpet burn treating you. Feels like a question I should be asking Tristan.....sorry, back on track. Welcome

is that the marine carpet we took to the RSPCA and put in the kitten cage for a day ?

Quote Originally Posted by dan View Post
    Sounds like a classic SBK PRO experience. Looking good though mate!
    Thanks Dan! Yeh, funny thing tyres. I honestly didn't think I would be noticing any difference, but once you have good drive and grip, to have less is... Frustrating I guess? I'm in no way out setting blistering laps and going for lap records and therefore figured that I wouldn't notice the not so sticky tyres, but I guess even if not trying for fast times, you do want to go fast and at least try to get better? I'm going to go back to the metzers I think, or try the pirelli superbike sc2 slicks perhaps.

Dunno

when i went out on the PRO rear i think i ended up running around 24psi in the rear to stop it lighting up out of every corner, and even then it still would out of 2, 6 and 9

24psi in from the track? If I don't get another set of tyres before next friday I'll try dropping it to that. I checked the pressure on them in the garage last night, 19psi cold. Guess it shows how useless cold pressure setting is! Dropping it as low as 26psi I thought was a little low, the wear looked amazing on the tyre though, no weird hot or cold tear going on, didn't seem to change dropping the pressure either, so 24 may be the answer. I had the thing moving round pretty much everywhere at 26.

Cost effective is definitely important, so longevity would be nice, but then, good feeling grip is probably just as nice.

Bah, it's only money... Anyone need a kidney?

24 off the warmers. That's just something that seemed to work a little better for me. Even at 24/5 I found it that unpredictable that I was never comfortable and I was 2-3 seconds off my average time. Took them off after that. Dropping may help a little but you are pushing shit uphill running that on a r1 haha
    do a burnout

I think rick / senator8 here has run them in the past so he might have some thoughts. I'm by no means a tyre guru so don't take my words as gospel just some observations from my day on them.
    do a burnout

Everyone that has run them has panned them completely, AFAIK. The normal SC2 is generally very hard wearing anyway, especially on the 600s, so there's not normally a noticeable increase in cost over the Pros... but there's a huge performance difference!

Apologies to anyone I held up on Monday!
    Monday was the slowest red group ever, I'm surprised you would have held up anyone. I honestly had to slow down between 6 and 7 that much for one bloke, I could have got off the bike and pushed it faster. Then, I nearly T-boned another one at 15 because I underestimated how much he needed to slow down to get around the corner and I caught him as he cut across the track to tip in.

I honestly think there were 65 green group riders there on Monday, but 20 of them were booked into red.
    ZRX1200 road bike
    TE511 trail bike/motard

Hey Jamie,

I saw Mr.Ed riding today!

Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
    Monday was the slowest red group ever, I'm surprised you would have held up anyone. I honestly had to slow down between 6 and 7 that much for one bloke, I could have got off the bike and pushed it faster. Then, I nearly T-boned another one at 15 because I underestimated how much he needed to slow down to get around the corner and I caught him as he cut across the track to tip in.

I honestly think there were 65 green group riders there on Monday, but 20 of them were booked into red.
    LOL .. you can blame your employer for that!

I waz booked in de green and MEGA rang me up three days before and asked me to do the red, cauze green was over booked and red had hardly anyone in it. I said I waz on a new bike and had not ridden the track for 3 months, and should probably be in yellow. They said it would be fine, cause all the fast boyz would be at Wakey racing.

And I did enjoy sweeping up the oil again, sooo much fun ... .

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Hey Jamie,

Fark ... what waz Ed riding?

It was ninja style rick....very incognito.... even got to borrow his bike

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    LOL .. you can blame your employer for that!

I waz booked in de green and MEGA rang me up three days before and asked me to do the red, cauze green was over booked and red had hardly anyone in it. I said I waz on a new bike and had not ridden the track for 3 months, and should probably be in yellow. They said it would be fine, cause all the fast boyz would be at Wakey racing.

And I did enjoy sweeping up the oil again, sooo much fun ... .
    Yeah, I heard that little doozy too. Apparently they only had 6 booked into red before they started ringing around. It was definitely frowned upon by the Sydney crew and is going to be brought up by the Sydney management about how dangerous it was with the team at Melbourne. Hopefully, they will never pull that sort of stunt again. I just hope the guys they booked into red that shouldn't have been there don't think it is ok to keep booking into red from now on.

As for the oil spill. You can't prepare for that kind of special. He nearly crashed at turn one after dropping oil all the way down the straight, only to re-enter the track and cover race line all the way between turn 1 and 2. Turns out he didn't do his oil filter up tight enough after learning to do an oil change watching Youtube. At least it got cleaned up quicker with everyone helping; it would have taken 2 hours without everyone's help.
    ZRX1200 road bike
    TE511 trail bike/motard

oil filters, i tighten the fuckers up...... I have a mechanicless mate that always stands over me crying finger tight mate finger tight.....pffft
    I never put my car in for a service, but i did once, I directly said at reception what i wanted done "yep yep we can do that"..... I get the car back to find they had read the speedo and completed the relevant service for the kms, and hadn't done half the shit I wanted..... A few weeks later I find oil dripping from the engine plastic under tray, It had filled up with oil from literally a finger tight oil filter.

Don't get me wrong I don't go stupid tight but they aint going to leak.

LOL all the fast riders at Wakefield... hahahaha I was there and I'm not fast and I can tell you I wasn't at the back

Yeah, I heard that little doozy too. Apparently they only had 6 booked into red before they started ringing around. It was definitely frowned upon by the Sydney crew and is going to be brought up by the Sydney management about how dangerous it was with the team at Melbourne. Hopefully, they will never pull that sort of stunt again. I just hope the guys they booked into red that shouldn't have been there don't think it is ok to keep booking into red from now on.

As for the oil spill. You can't prepare for that kind of special. He nearly crashed at turn one after dropping oil all the way down the straight, only to re-enter the track and cover race line all the way between turn 1 and 2. Turns out he didn't do his oil filter up tight enough after learning to do an oil change watching Youtube. At least it got cleaned up quicker with everyone helping; it would have taken 2 hours without everyone's help.
    So watched it on YouTube OR, as you experienced, hand tightened by an expert mechanic with xyz years experience ... IMHO still think its a design issue that so many people, of all experience levels can get it so wrong. Maybe checked in scrutineering, if they are street, have a quick feel, if they are trackies, belly off so they can have a feel / or MINIMUM lock wired sump and oil filter? Seems crazy for a trackie those are not done?

Spoke to rider involved as we went out to sweep the oil up, he said he didn't know it was leaking, just lost traction and ran off T1. He said he thought that the red flags were for the two guys down so he re entered to get back to the pits. Seems like they need a flag to tell rider to get the hell off the track RIGHT NOW and stay off, we will come and get you.

I feel sorry for the two poor bastards that wiped out on T1 ... some long slide marks through T1 where they went down ... no fault of their own and mangled bikes and bodies.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    It was ninja style rick....very incognito.... even got to borrow his bike

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
    Ed san goes all Ninja on a Ninja. Ah so desu ne.

Quote Originally Posted by shippy__ View Post
    LOL all the fast riders at Wakefield... hahahaha I was there and I'm not fast and I can tell you I wasn't at the back
    1:42.xxxx for GP is pretty quick IMHO!

I want at least another 10seconds off that, I know theres room for 7sec that can be found in consistency... the rest may prove a little harder

I still have no turn/tip in markers anywhere, im still turning in by feel which was causeing issues at wakefeild... And for braking markers I have braking areas, which comes back the the previous corners entry and exit.... So it all relates in the end back too consistency
    Last edited by shippy__; 29-04-2014 at 09:01 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    Hey Jamie,

ride.jpg
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 29-04-2014 at 09:36 AM.

Tru dat
    do a burnout

I was phoned more than once leading up to the weekend asking if I wanted to move to red group and I said no, due to not knowing the new track at all. After doing green on saturday and getting held up a fair bit, I decided if the same happened monday, I would move up. Monday was pretty bad in green, first session on brand new slicks, first couple of laps not even knee down passing people around the outside, it was scary slow.

I think once they get the timing system sorted out properly it should be a little better? But I guess with the full circuit, 45 people in each group you get more of a disparity in times.

It was interesting going into the new section thinking there wasn't room to get around people before that downhill lefthander, then I think it may have been you Nelso? Got passed me in the switchbacks at the top very nice and smoothly, lot more room through there than I realised!

Another guy, one of the scrutineers who checked my bike in the morning, passed me in a couple of sessions, once out of that downhill tight hairpin, so fast an smooth, was amazing, so awesome to watch! I chatted to him in the cafe, said it was unreal! Then later on I was passing a bloke into four, already hard on the anchors and he passed me waving, unreal!

But back to the different groups, I guess if the timing is set up properly, then you will end up in the group you should be in, will make it safer and better for everyone involved.

Oh, false neutral into turn one made me soil myself. Probably could've done with a clean up myself after that...

Thread Information