Thread: running a bit rough... grrrr rough rough

running a bit rough... grrrr rough rough

So I take the opportunity of the good weather and have to take a trip to the city mmmm so I think parking...I will take the 600rr roadie.
    All is good get there and back , im enjoying my day so much I think old pacific run for lunch. Stopped at the lights an then I start to think think as I set off , that felt a bit rough. I open it up along monavale road and it seems ok above 5k rpm. Pull in at the servo to fill up (1/4 tank full ) then me thinks I had better head for home if at low revs below 5k its running really rough. Finally got home and setting off at junctions wasnt the best , having to find very big gaps in the traffic just in case it dies . Above 5k running ok but from idle it coughs and not much pickup.

Will keep you posted on the cause / fix when I work it out but for now its parked and im not talking to her.

It reminds me of a post on facebook I read recently when the girlfriend wonders whats wrong with her boyfriend and gets worried when he seems like he is very distant and the bloke just sits there just thinking whats wrong with the bike .
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Tell me about it. I just spent a week wandering around the house dragging my feet and staring at the floor like I just lost a child

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quick fix

kawasaki_logo1.jpg

Isn't it amazing how many scenarios/possible causes run through your head when limping home in that instance.

could be?...
    but not... maybe...
    well the... that would mean the...
    however...
    oh, what about...
    nah. cant be.
    hmmm

FUCK.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    No chance of anything not working if you leave it on the trailer .. just more polish required
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

There's also no chance of anything breaking either! See... all pluses!

Disconnect Power commander and see if it any better!.

Quote Originally Posted by Baddie View Post
    Disconnect Power commander and see if it any better!.
    No power commander or quickshifter on the bike , its the roadie , stock with just a slipon and a speedo healer.
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Well i finally got around to taking her closes and radiator off to check the plugs , due to the poor idle and missing at low rpms . Found the connector to plug 4 not quite clicked in all the way , Replaced all the plugs anyway as i had them all out . thought i might be onto something but after all the fairings went back on and i took her for a spin im still having idle to 3-4k rpm splutters .

Im just about to remove the tank and check the lower injector plugs next , then remove and check/clean air filter and while thats out i may aswell do the the dreaded airbox removal to gain access to the IACV . and MAP sensors.
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

That's a real head-scratcher!

Have you checked the fuel strainer inside the pump assembly?

This is how my strainer looked! Amazingly it wasn't the problem in my case. I'd have cleaned it sooner had I known about it, honda don't list it in the part fische.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407624076.900958.jpg

Did you pull the plugs out? I found odd wear on the terminal end (where the cap sits on the plug), it's like it had bee arcing away at it.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1407624148.762994.jpg

my strainer was dirty in the Zx6 and the problem arose after a few minutes of WOT (racing) and it would starve as the secondary injectors kicked in (>10k rpm)
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

Dived a bit deeper today removed the tank

2014-08-10 12.53.21.jpg

removed airbox
    2014-08-10 13.30.16.jpg

removed the IACV from a spare throttle body and swapped over
    2014-08-10 12.52.06.jpg

IACV valve
    2014-08-10 12.52.43.jpg

Cleaned the K & N airfilter and gave it another oiling , put all back together and went for a quick ride . came home , took the jacket off , leaned over to put the rear stand on , only give myself a nice burn to the top of the arm from the tail pipe .. ouch...

Still the same .. with temps around the 75 deg idle not too smooth , and coughing between 1.5 to 4 k ..

so im thinking its either the lower injectors or possibly the MAP sensor which means the airbox out again ..

Havent checked the strainer in the tank yet as this would be fuel starvation which it doesnt seem to have once over the 4k and runs well above this range . Might swap out the tank with some fresh fuel too once the injectors changed .
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

stale fuel, fouled plugs

Further update . tank and fuel swapped over , replaced the o2 sensor , still not running right . more work required .. might do the spark plug tops next followed by the lower injectors....
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Changed over these bits yesterday and its running all sweet again , maybe i just got lucky , its good to be back on the bike..2014-10-29 15.20.26.jpg
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Fark me, what a ball-ache!! Good you fixed it

Coils, ahhh coils.....

Nice 1 all fixed

I bet you're glad that's sorted Rob.
    Long time no see mate.
    Pre Modern Formula 1 Champion 2013 (GSXR750T)

www.wet4uracing.com.au Race bike & mechanical prep, fairings and parts - www.bikeshop.com.au (Protech Motorcycles)Tyres, parts and dyno tuning www.stayupright.com.au motorcycle rider training from learners through to track skills - http://worthingtonmotorcycles.com.au BMW, Honda, MV Augusta, Moto Guzzi and Aprilia

Yes , glad its finally going well , but still havent convinced myself this was the problem. Time will tell over the next month when I get to take her out , its like getting a new mrs ... looking forward to having some quality time with her.

Hi Rick. Welcome back.
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Thread Information