Thread: Gear Indicator

Gear Indicator

G'day folks.
    As you know I've got 2008 R1 race bike and have a technical question..
    The bike has YEC race harness and ECU. Where the speed used to show now is the temp gauge and where the odometer was now is the Revs.
    Í am looking to get a gear indicator installed but i don't know if it will work with the current set up of the bike.
    The Cluster is still the original and the revs gauge also works.
    Anyone has got the race harness with a aftermarket gear indicator??

Thanks
    JC

Hi JC,

It will absolutely 100% still work, so long as you tap the speedo signal under the tank (as you are supposed to anyway on Yamahas), like in my How To guide here: http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthre...gear-indicator

The rest of the signal wires are still the same at the back of the dash (power, earth, rpm and neutral), so all the other inputs will work fine.

Cheers,
    Marshy
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Thanks mate.
    Just don't know if there's any cable for the speedo

Quote Originally Posted by JC View Post
    Thanks mate.
    Just don't know if there's any cable for the speedo
    There is still the output out of the gearbox! That's where you get the signal from. They would've had to modify the gearbox to get rid of it, and for no benefit. The wires will still be there, even if they don't plug into the race harness (although they probably still do, as the neutral sensor and a couple of other important signals come from the same place). It doesn't matter that there's no speedo readout at the dash (or even any speedo wire at the dash).

Thanks for the info mate. Ill get one and have a go.
    Thanks a lot
    JC

Here ya go mate. There's a plug on the kit harness that specifically has all the data you need in one place!! And another plug next to it that are just power and earth. All just behind the dash. Couldn't be easier.

You are a champion mate. Thanks heaps. Would the R6 be the same as R1?
    It should ay...

Yeah, that bit is the same. Although you don't have to position those plugs behind the dash - it's the recommended position, but they might be, say, under the tank. So just go looking for them.

Any recommendations for a good gear indicator and best place to buy one?GIpro Acuman Starlane,Datatool ?
    Don't know why this isn't standard in a digital dash on a Honda

I can get the GI pro there $190 I'm get some stuff from them tomorrow so if I order a bunch of stuff I can do it cheaper.

Hi Tristan .How can i order one from you?

Just text me or give me a call 0409832925 and let me know what you want and ill Order it for you.

Thread Information