Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Budget engine oil choice

I use the Lucas fully synthetic 10-50 in my R6. Think as long as u change it regularly all of the synthetic oils would be safe. Tristan posted a comment earlier selling it pretty cheap - my next bottle will be off him as I usually pay a bit more. That's if I don't switch to the Castrol that Marshy is talking about.

Yeah I can only go 4k or 6k to fit in with valve service at 12,000km

Found some interesting reading re oil on the interwebby thing ... is it worth considering filter / oil combinations as well as just synthetic v non synthetic ...

http://www.post610.org/truth_about_motorcycle_oils.htm

I was talking to a guy at work who builds performance car engines re the types of oils he prefers and why ... he talked about thinner oil for newer engines getting thicker as they get older with respect to compression ...

He also mentioned that hard core builders perform used oil analysis to see how / if / and to what extent the oil has deteriorated. Could be used to baseline different brands and possibly setups with filter types? He was going to send me a link, but I found this in the meantime ... I realise there is a difference between street and track ... so do these rules still make sense?

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums...alysis_Reports

What is applicable to most of us…

I’ll throw out some generalizations here that are a result of the data I’ve collected from many thousands of UOAs from all kinds of equipment, from many different sources:

1) The large diversity of use, environment, lube grade, etc is already accounted for in macro-analysis data sets

2) The dedication needed for correct micro-analysis methodology is rare and goes unheeded by most people

3) There is always a “best” combination of equipment, lube and filter, but it goes undiscovered by most people because they do not apply the correct methodology

4) That “best” combination is only applicable to unique individual equipment and given set of limited operational circumstances

5) There is a “sweet spot” where the equipment and lube perform better together

6) That start of that “sweet spot” is unique to each piece of equipment, and lasts much longer than many people would suspect

7) Wear rates will generally shrink as the oil is used, contrary to popular belief

8) Changing oil frequently does not reduce wear in healthy engines with healthy oil

9) Changing oil too soon is a waste of product, regardless of what brand/grade/base stock of lube you choose to utilize

10) Condemnation of the lubricant should be based upon a multitude of criteria, and not with any one criteria taken out of context

11) Condemnation is much further out than many would suspect; only if you were to over-run the “sweet spot” greatly would wear begin to escalate

12) Condemnation levels are generally misunderstood, if acknowledged at all

13) To realize the claimed benefit of any premium product, one must operate in a conditional set of circumstances that manifests into statistically distinguishable differences; the benefit must be tangible, otherwise the benefit does not exist

Bob's quick breakdown of types of trace parts found linked to possible specific wear ...

http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/engine-oil-analysis/

New delivery of Lucas Oils and K&N oil filters.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thread Information