Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Budget engine oil choice

Budget engine oil choice

So I have always used Motul 300V 10w-40 for my previous bikes and tried the Belray EXS, they are both great to run but just a bit pricey for what they all. Then I came across a whole-seller for Penrite Racing 10 10w-40 20L for $220 bux ($11/litre)! What a deal considering both the 4L Motul300V and 4L Belray EXS are retailing for $119 bux ($29.75/litre).

So my question is has anyone tried the Penrite Racing 10? Are they good to have fun on? Purpose of my bike would be every weekend mountain fun and all ARDC day plus once a month track day, that's why oil changing is expecting at least once a month.

Any comments are appreciated.

I'm pretty sure that's a car oil. Some of those Penrite oils reckon they can be used for both cars and bikes, but it's a compromise which I wouldn't make for my bike.

I use Castrol Power 1 Racing. Full synthetic bike oil, from Supercheap for $70 per 4 litres ($17.5/L). Good stuff.

Or if you're interested, I've got a brand new 20 litre drum of Motul 7100 10W40. Fully synthetic etc. $350 ($17.5/L).
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Sorry but I have to ask the question why skimp?

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I'm pretty sure that's a car oil. Some of those Penrite oils reckon they can be used for both cars and bikes, but it's a compromise which I wouldn't make for my bike.

I use Castrol Power 1 Racing. Full synthetic bike oil, from Supercheap for $70 per 4 litres ($17.5/L). Good stuff.

Or if you're interested, I've got a brand new 20 litre drum of Motul 7100 10W40. Fully synthetic etc. $350 ($17.5/L).
    Castrol Power 1 Racing sounds like a deal! Will give it a try then! Better than 300V and EXS $119 for 4L ($29.75/L)

Quote Originally Posted by chubb View Post
    I have heard/seen quite a lot of people said Motul is overpriced, so was thinking to try something else if there is a big difference that you can feel.

You can feel the difference in the handling of the rear end...when you unload the wallet on an engine rebuild
    Life's too Short- YOLO!

this ^^^

Rumour has it that Motul is so full of additives because it's the only way to get the low quality russian oil to work properly. And that IPONE is a related offshoot of Motul (the father owns Motul and the son started up ipone).

Maybe I just trust the Poms (Castrol) more than the French (Motul, IPONE) to make good oil

Buy the drum if you're changing oil once a month ... seems excessively frequent to me ... why not just follow the manufacturer's guidelines every service period ... or even half that ??? How many km you racking up every month?

^this!

How much is a drum of 300V? Surely it will be cheaper than buying per gallon

Rumour has it that Motul is so full of additives because it's the only way to get the low quality russian oil to work properly. And that IPONE is a related offshoot of Motul (the father owns Motul and the son started up ipone).

Maybe I just trust the Poms (Castrol) more than the French (Motul, IPONE) to make good oil
    I couldn't tell the difference. I stick yank oil in and the gearbox seems to like it better

Which one?
    I always loved the feel of Mobil1 in bikes. After an oil change, the gearbox was like a hot knife through butter.

Budget engine oil choice

Maxima oils 530RR

Which one?
    I always loved the feel of Mobil1 in bikes. After an oil change, the gearbox was like a hot knife through butter.
    I thought Mobil1 was car only... then again, this topic is a whole other can of worms in itself, isn't it?! hahaha

Nah, Mobil1 have a bike version. It's very nice, but not the cheapest at ~$90 per 4 litres.

Hmmm so basically 300V territory

It says smart oil

Last edited by shippy__; 16-08-2014 at 04:26 PM.

Which one?
    Ohh this is getting interesting ... seriously you can feel the difference gearbox wise??? OK I gotta try some of the uber good top shelf stuff next.

Quote Originally Posted by Little Mick View Post
    You can feel the difference in the handling of the rear end...when you unload the wallet on an engine rebuild
    LOL yeah that would hurt mick

Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    Buy the drum if you're changing oil once a month ... seems excessively frequent to me ... why not just follow the manufacturer's guidelines every service period ... or even half that ??? How many km you racking up every month?
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    ^this!

How much is a drum of 300V? Surely it will be cheaper than buying per gallon
    Yeah I wish if they sell it in 20L pack, cause it would bring down the $29.75/L to maybe at least $25/L? Then that would be a different story!

Which one?
    Wow I love this "hot knife through butter" thingy, thought only 300V or EXS will give you this shit

Nah, Mobil1 have a bike version. It's very nice, but not the cheapest at ~$90 per 4 litres.
    So same price tag at 4L Motul 7100, which one you reckon in this range than? And do you know any channels for bulk pack marshy?

Quote Originally Posted by shippy__ View Post
    It says smart oil

this is worse than using my old oil shippy LOL

It says smart oil

I think it's a fill-in-the-blanks puzzle. I'm going with "If you're not at all smart, buy this motor oil".

Quote Originally Posted by Eddie Lee View Post
    this is worse than using my old oil shippy LOL
    +1!!!!

So same price tag at 4L Motul 7100, which one you reckon in this range than? And do you know any channels for bulk pack marshy?
    I can get bulk packs of Motul cheaply. Like I said before, I have a 20 litre drum of Motul 7100 here that I will sell for $350 (which is $17.50 per litre, or the equivalent of $70 per 4 litres). I can also get 20 litre drums of 300V for $490.

If you are just buying 4 litres, get the Mobil1. If you want a good oil in bulk, go the 7100. That's why I bought several drums of it.

Budget engine oil choice

Yeah I wish if they sell it in 20L pack, cause it would bring down the $29.75/L to maybe at least $25/L? Then that would be a different story!
    29.75 to 25.00

What's the real diff??

Start working harder. If you play plan to pay.
    Budget anything with motorbike never ends well. Do it once and do it right.

Wow I love this "hot knife through butter" thingy, thought only 300V or EXS will give you this shit
    I really, really noticed it on the '98 Blade. Not sure about now on the new bikes.

But it only lasted a short while, then it reverted to a more normal gearbox feel after a day or so.

I have been using Lucas Oils for about 2 years now 10w 50 it's fully sin and about $100 for 5ltrs I generally do them for $90 though. And I have been doing oil changes about every 500ks and realistically I could double that because it's still clean as when I drain it.

I can get bulk packs of Motul cheaply. Like I said before, I have a 20 litre drum of Motul 7100 here that I will sell for $350 (which is $17.50 per litre, or the equivalent of $70 per 4 litres). I can also get 20 litre drums of 300V for $490.

If you are just buying 4 litres, get the Mobil1. If you want a good oil in bulk, go the 7100. That's why I bought several drums of it.
    Tempting on the 20L 7100 marshy, if I do 50% commute on road and 50% on track, do you recommend 7100 or 300V?

29.75 to 25.00

What's the real diff??

Start working harder. If you play plan to pay.
    Budget anything with motorbike never ends well. Do it once and do it right.
    yea words man, will take it

Quote Originally Posted by Tristan View Post
    I have been using Lucas Oils for about 2 years now 10w 50 it's fully sin and about $100 for 5ltrs I generally do them for $90 though. And I have been doing oil changes about every 500ks and realistically I could double that because it's still clean as when I drain it.
    What is this Lucas Oils thing? And OMG! every 500k oil change?? For track and racing yea?

Lucas oils are made in the US and yes 500 for the track and for the road I just follow the recommended service intervals.

Lucas oils are made in the US and yes 500 for the track and for the road I just follow the recommended service intervals.
    How can you tell when to change the oil? As I heard a lot of people change it every 2 TD or practice day, but if 1 TD = 6 sessions on 4.5km track, then 2 TD = 2 x 6 x 4.5km = 54km!? Isn't oil suppose to last longer than that even if you ride it hard?

I guess it's just personal preference personally I think changing it after every one or two track is stupid but that's just me I think about 500ks is a good start but like I said it's still clean as when I drain it so it really could last longer.

my opinion every 6 months that's about 5 to 7 days on track, possibly more but I don't treat as Gospel .......

if practice day is in 1 hand and changing oil is in the other, Practice will always win

calm down eddie and just ride the thing
    Last edited by shippy__; 16-08-2014 at 07:38 PM.

Speaking of oils... Why is that despite half a dozen world championships to Aussies Repsol isn't sitting on the shelf anywhere? Odd.
    I've been using the same as Marshy (castrol).i'd be interested to give the mobile a go.
    I've always tried to go with best available as far as oil and fuel.

I guess it's just personal preference personally I think changing it after every one or two track is stupid but that's just me I think about 500ks is a good start but like I said it's still clean as when I drain it so it really could last longer.
    my opinion every 6 months that's about 5 to 7 days on track, possibly more but I don't treat as Gospel .......

if practice day is in 1 hand and changing oil is in the other, Practice will always win

calm down eddie and just ride the thing
    Yea need to get out in action after my exam heheheheheh

I think it all depends on what you're running and how you're running it... We can't say that someone running Motul 3100 and doing 44s on the GP circuit onboard of an old cbr250 (in all its 18000rpm glory)should change the oil every 500Ks. I would think that's equally stupid as running 300V, doing 58s on a modern sportbike and changing it every second track day.

Overall, I think 'common sense', the rarest of all commodities, is required here.
    Last edited by Mr.Ed; 16-08-2014 at 08:24 PM.

How can you tell when to change the oil? As I heard a lot of people change it every 2 TD or practice day, but if 1 TD = 6 sessions on 4.5km track, then 2 TD = 2 x 6 x 4.5km = 54km!? Isn't oil suppose to last longer than that even if you ride it hard?
    Go back to school. Lol

6 sessions say of 8 laps of 4.5 = 216km

Just go out and ride and not worry so much.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Ed View Post
    I think it all depends on what you're running and how you're running it... We can't say that someone running Motul 3100 and doing 44s on the GP circuit onboard of an old cbr250 (in all its 18000rpm glory)should change the oil every 500Ks. I would think that's equally stupid as running 300V, doing 58s on a modern sportbike and changing it every second track day.

Overall, I think 'common sense', the rarest of all commodities, is required here.
    True words.

So far I'm finding that the Ape needs the oil changed probably 4 times as often as the R6. Two days on track and it's filthy and very much in need of changing. Whereas the R6 will do 8 days and it still looks fresh. Although most of my days so far have been race days on the Ape.

Race starts have a HUGE effect on oil condition. Multiple times destroying the oil with slipping clutch plates ruins the hydrocarbon bonds and breaks down the oil much more quickly than normal wear. Even more so if you slip the clutch a long way (as some people do, although I don't).

Ok here is one to think about .. oils ... there is so much hype out there and marketing that sucks a lot of people in . have a look next time you go into supercheap auto and see how the displays are set up ..

I used to look for well known brands that everyone else out there uses , until i came across an Australian owned company that i have been using now since i purchased the bike new in 2009

Gulf Western . www.gulfwestern.com.au

I have had a tour around the factory and was very impressed with the company and they have an excellent customer service .

This might not be for you or what you want to use , fair enough , but the large companies charge way too much for what your getting (in my opinion)

im running the Protectra ultra semi synthetic 15W-50 and the premuim gold in the car .
    2014-08-16 21.23.55.jpg
    Cbr 600rr 07 track

Quote Originally Posted by BoB View Post
    Ok here is one to think about .. oils ... there is so much hype out there and marketing that sucks a lot of people in.
    ^^^^ Mega agree ... my suspicion is there is a lot of marketing going on ...

Like some coke addled creatives once convinced women to soak their hands in detergent ... only softness going on there was in their heads.

Go back to school. Lol

6 sessions say of 8 laps of 4.5 = 216km

Just go out and ride and not worry so much.
    HAHAHAHAHAH don't let my senior knows or I may get fired...lol

True words.

So far I'm finding that the Ape needs the oil changed probably 4 times as often as the R6. Two days on track and it's filthy and very much in need of changing. Whereas the R6 will do 8 days and it still looks fresh. Although most of my days so far have been race days on the Ape.

Race starts have a HUGE effect on oil condition. Multiple times destroying the oil with slipping clutch plates ruins the hydrocarbon bonds and breaks down the oil much more quickly than normal wear. Even more so if you slip the clutch a long way (as some people do, although I don't).
    Always love to hear the technical side

Quote Originally Posted by BoB View Post
    Ok here is one to think about .. oils ... there is so much hype out there and marketing that sucks a lot of people in . have a look next time you go into supercheap auto and see how the displays are set up ..

I used to look for well known brands that everyone else out there uses , until i came across an Australian owned company that i have been using now since i purchased the bike new in 2009

Gulf Western . www.gulfwestern.com.au

I have had a tour around the factory and was very impressed with the company and they have an excellent customer service .

This might not be for you or what you want to use , fair enough , but the large companies charge way too much for what your getting (in my opinion)

im running the Protectra ultra semi synthetic 15W-50 and the premuim gold in the car .
    2014-08-16 21.23.55.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Phat3R View Post
    ^^^^ Mega agree ... my suspicion is there is a lot of marketing going on ...

Like some coke addled creatives once convinced women to soak their hands in detergent ... only softness going on there was in their heads.

Yea that's what I heard about Motul, price comprises of brand name more than the actual product, so wanna give a try to other smaller brand but with similar quality products, such as those mentioned above

The clutch plate fibres and the combustion process is what darkens the oil, the big problem is the gearbox in a motorbike. It chews up and shortens the oil molecules.That's why specialist bike oil should be used, It's designed to operate in this environment

are you going to tell them what you ended up getting eddie?

mmmmmm smells so goood, as a mater a fact I am going to head out to the garage now for a sniff

I get Ipone fully synthetic cheap off the distributor and change every 2-3 days. I figure it's cheap insurance for a bike of a certain age. Had no problems with it at all.
    do a burnout

Was going to try Lucus oil. Is the 10W50 FULL Syn for sure, if so where can I pick it up.

Thread Information