Quote Originally Posted by Nelso View Post
Mine is an '04, has been raced for the last 6 years and hasn't had the engine opened, ever. I have seen two other first gen and one second gen ZX10's that were set up for racing (full of good bits), sell in the last few months and none of them went for more than $4000. Tell me again how these new bikes like the one Marshy is building are going to be cheaper than the 8 to 10 year old bikes. The fact of the matter is, that building up a 5 year old bike will give you a competitive edge over the other riders, but it will cost a shit load more than running an older bike.
Yeah, but it's all choices, right? You've got a shed-load of different bikes, PCRA bikes, modern(ish) race bikes, road bikes, chook chasers etc etc. Individually they are worth less than my one bike, yes. But I prefer to chuck all my coin (and spanner time and effort and tuning and tweaking and dialling in etc etc) at one single race bike instead. My one racebike cost a lot less than your fleet, I'd reckon.

If you're not worried about being competitive overall in the class, then who cares if me and Jamie and Stu and Chubb and Wetty and Rick etc throw more cash than you at a racebike. If you do care about winning, pick one class/series/bike and throw everything at that.

My $0.02