Thread: How Tight is too Tight?

How Tight is too Tight?

I Changed the oil & filter on the R1 and it was leaking oil. (then I overtightened and fucked the filter)
    I've got a new filter on but don't want a repeat performance (or a leak). on the gixxer I just went hand tight + a 1/4 turn. is there a general rule of thumb?

I've also put a new crush washer on the sump so it isn't that

Cheers,
    Lawson

same rule of thumb with any bike.. I just go hand tight plus 1/4 turn
    Last edited by chubb; 28-01-2015 at 11:26 AM.

fill the filter with oil and put a smear where the "O" ring seats, after you have cleaned it, then screw it on as you described, that's the way I do it and I have to use 300mm multies to undo it as they tighten up when heated
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

I will re-smear tonight and get it up to temperature again, I flushed the radiatior again while I was there, but given the radiator cap is under the ram-air tube it will be a full fairing off job for scrutineering on Saturday morning.

Thanks guys

All of the above. Lube the o-ring! You need to work out exactly where the leak was from. It might not have been either filter or sump plug.....

Oh, and a trick to removing the filter when doing a service (and I almost always forget this myself!) is to loosen the filter before you warm the bike up to drain the oil. It's much much much easier to loosen when cold.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Negrogrande View Post
    I will re-smear tonight and get it up to temperature again, I flushed the radiatior again while I was there, but given the radiator cap is under the ram-air tube it will be a full fairing off job for scrutineering on Saturday morning.

Thanks guys

Yep +1
    I just sent St George an email about this problem and whether we have to get scrutineered twice because the nose cone part of the fairing will be off?
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Championship winner (2012) (the tank)
    2007 Yamaha FZ1 Road bike
    2005 KTM 450 EXC (fun bike)
    2005 Yamaha R1 Class winner 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Mstevo View Post
    Yep +1
    I just sent St George an email about this problem and whether we have to get scrutineered twice because the nose cone part of the fairing will be off?
    Same issue with lock wire on brakes ... go scrutineering and then change wheels :0

Thread Information