Thread: Phillip Island - Rider Critique/ Tips Hints and advice needed.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Phillip Island - Rider Critique/ Tips Hints and advice needed.

Hi All

I'm just after some advice for tackling this track and some advice from those that ride/race here and how i can improve my times and speeds around parts of the track.
    I don't race just love doing track days when i can afford them.Screenshot_2015-02-17-23-50-46.pngScreenshot_2015-02-17-23-53-12.pngfb.jpgA64H4451.jpgA64H4452.jpg

My best PB was a 1.47 about 2 years ago. The last time i was there (Dec 2014) i was doing consistent 1.48s.
    I know its not that fast but if i could get into the low 1.40's one day on this bike i would be very happy.

After watching the latest on board footage that was put up by MEGA on their Facebook page i know that some of my lines i am taking way too wide and losing time.

My bike is a bit of an oldie its a 2004 CBR1000RR
    Wilbers Shock
    Front has been tweaked and valved for my weight (i'm pretty sure its not an aftermarket cartridge kit)
    Brembo 19mm MC
    2009 Monoblock CBR calipers and braided lines
    Full Micron System and PC3
    Running Dunlop Slicks
    Running 520 gearing 15-43
    HRC short action throttle

The main things i do or have learn't over the years here are

Turn 1- shift down 2 gears and do not touch the brakes
    Stoner Corner- I take in 5th(i think) i believe maybe i turn in later than i should
    Honda Corner - I shift down into 2nd and hold 2nd until Siberia..again i think my turn in point is mid to outside of the track (bad habit)
    Shift up to 5th through the Hayshed and then shift down to 4th for Lukey heights
    Shift down to 2nd for MG
    Short shift to 4th out of MG
    Shift down to 4th for the last corner and try to turn in as late as possible

Tyre wear is always pretty good as i'm not super aggressive on the throttle...i never really feel the rear spin up and dont have any traction issues. I guess ive got an oldschool/cautious mentality of doing everything as smooth as possible and just feeding on the power rather than hitting it hard after the apex.

Now any ideas on what i can do different or things i can improve inc gear selection, turn in points, braking markers ect.

I have also attached a screenshot of the Racechrono data from my 1.48 run. I look at some of the speeds and would love to compare to what others are doing as i think i could be taking some of these corners much faster than i think i can. I have also attached some photos from the track for criqtue on body position ect.

So would love peoples critique and feedback and ways i can improve for my next track day or what your riding tips are when riding around this circuit.
    I understand its a bit hard to give advice through words on a forum but maybe i can get some pointers that may help.

Thanks and i look forward to hearing some advice

Cheers

Alex
    Last edited by WRCPUG; 19-02-2015 at 09:23 AM.

2015 MV AGUSTA F3 800
    2010 RSV4 FACTORY (TRACK BIKE)
    2007 KTM 300EXC

2005 CBR1000RR (TRACK BIKE SOLD)
    2004 KTM125SX (SOLD)
    2008 YAMAHA R1 (CRASHED)
    2002 YAMAHA R6 (SOLD)

Thread Information