Thread: Phillip Island Pirelli RR 28-30 August

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    Out of interest, what are you reading in to the "Tyre make and type are open for all classes. Wets may be used by all classes if it is declared WET" from the supp regs?
    I've emailed and asked them to clarify whether the GCRs for my class or the above are applicable.
    So, the GCR's, for Supersport at least, have changed in regards to tyres. We can now run anything and are not restricted to the treaded tyres from before. Happy days!! The only stipulation is that you need to be on Pirelli to qualify for prizes.
    Also, not sure if everybody already knows this but you also have to have your front sprocket covered, if it's exposed enough that a finger could get caught. I had to Macgyver a sprocket cover at the last minute. Other than that tho, I reckon I'm ready to go racing!!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Quote Originally Posted by Sicko View Post
    So, the GCR's, for Supersport at least, have changed in regards to tyres. We can now run anything and are not restricted to the treaded tyres from before. Happy days!! The only stipulation is that you need to be on Pirelli to qualify for prizes.
    This is club racing "supersport" .... IMHO .... here just means 600cc 4s 675 3s and 750 2s .... but I was wrong once before

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    This is club racing "supersport" .... IMHO .... here just means 600cc 4s 675 3s and 750 2s .... but I was wrong once before
    And you're wrong again Linden. 2 years ago at the Pirelli RR round at Winton, I got disqualified from qualifying (having qualified 3rd of 40-ish) for running slicks and had to start both of Sunday's races from the back of the grid. Which completely ruined my race results, as you can imagine. Not only that, but between qualifying and the first race, I had to buy a set of treaded Pirellis, have them fitted, get them on the bike, warmed up, and then race on a tyre type and brand I'd never ridden on before. It was a weekend to forget, simply because I misread the supp regs, which said "tyres are open", and then later on in the class descriptions, it said "Supersport: as per the GCRs". The GCRs, of course, said Supersport must run DOT tyres.

And don't get me started on the nazi enforcement of the race number font, size, colour and kerning done at the Pirelli rounds. Don't check lockwiring, but carry around a cutout template to check font size and spacing (I'm not making this up). If it wasn't Phillip Island, I'd never run in the Pirelli series again. Honestly, they have some right dickheads all smug about having the power to completely ruin someone's weekend with bizarre enforcement of the most arbitrary of rule minutia, not in the slightest bit related to safety.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    It was a weekend to forget, simply because I misread the supp regs, which said "tyres are open", and then later on in the class descriptions, it said "Supersport: as per the GCRs". The GCRs, of course, said Supersport must run DOT tyres.
    It may well have turned out to be a weekend to forget for me too, if the actual MA GCRs for Supersport tyres hadn't only just changed this year!
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Thread Information