Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
Where we you when I was looking most of the KLXs I've seen (at the $2000) look like POS from the photos (rusty chain/forks etc)

the boy is keen on an 450EXC eventually
Leanne sold it really cheap to a friend. Realistically, we probably could have got $3K for it if we pushed for it, as it was in perfect condition, but we'd rather pass on a good deal and hope that Karma looks after us in the future. One in good nick should still be under $3k, so if they are asking $2k for rust heaps, they are kidding themselves. Offer them a grand and spend a bit of time cleaning them up and you should have a good thing and it won't matter so much if he throws it on the deck a few times.

There is a lot to be said for learning the skills on a bike you can control first, so that you can ride the wheels of a powerful bike later on. Too many noobs jump on the most powerful bike they can get their hands on, and rely on the power to go fast between corners, but never develop the skills to control the bike when things go wrong; and they usually have shit corner speed. If a 450EXC is what he is keen on, I'd be pushing the rider training early on to teach him the skills he will need to ride it to its capabilities. Dale Corser (Troy's brother) runs a dirt bike school near Albion Park that teaches the basics, called Corser Concepts, if you are looking for somewhere to start. Then, later on when he is ready to progress, Linden Heffernan runs his Academy of Offroad Riding to develop more advanced skills.