Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
Thanks for the reminder!

Ok, so for the front, the tyre to get is the Dunlop KR106 "UK Ntec" (known as that because it's made in the UK, unlike D211s which are made in France, and KR448/449s which are made in the USA, known as "US Ntecs"). With the KR106, you must get the 302 compound, as the other 2 compounds are too soft and wear out very quickly. The 302 will last roughly forever, and are still the best gripping front tyre on the planet. Honestly, you can do things on the front Dunlop that would have you sliding down the track on any other tyre.

There's plenty of choice in rear tyres. The Bridgestones are very good, particularly the 'old' tyre (the R01). The new V01 has silly amounts of grip initially, but goes away after only 10 laps or so, whereas the R01 isn't as outright grippy but is very consistent over the whole life of the tyre.

The Pirelli rears are good for track day riding, particularly the SC2. They don't have massive outright grip, but they last forever and are consistent. It's currently too cold to be running an SC1 rear anyway (although the fronts are reversed, and you should be running an SC1 front in this weather, and an SC2 when it's much hotter).

I've heard the rear Metzlers are a good thing, but I haven't tried them yet. Similar to the Pirellis.

But these are all slick tyres. The thing to bear in mind is that for track days like Thursday (or all of this week by the sound of it), the organisers won't let you out on a damp track. So if you don't race and only do track days, a treaded tyre is probably the way to go. In that case, there are the equivalent Dunlops to the KR106 and 108, which are the UK Supersports tyre. Exxy, but awesome.

Some guys love the Bridgestone R10s (eg Stu23), but I'm personally not really a fan for racing. Again, awesome initial grip, but the grip doesn't last the life of the tyre. Great for track day pace though.

Then the Pirelli SuperCorsas are essentially the equivalent of the Superbike slicks, but with tread. They are the tyres on Condor's bike at the moment. Again, in this weather, the choice would be SC1 front and SC2 rear. These would be my recommendation for track day guys - plenty of grip, good wear rates and tyre life, and tread for days where it's damp (but don't forget that they are essentially a slick with token tread to qualify for the 'treaded race tyre' rules, so they really have no more grip than a slick in the rain. But you can at least get out on track when they should be letting slicks out but don't because they are idiots).

Hope that helps!
Hey Marshy, I am currently running treaded SC1 front and SC2 rear, what is the difference between it and SP1/SP2??
Haven't timed myself before, but I guess I have improved from >3mins on new SMP section to ~2:20sec, so should I go UK Ntec front and SC2 rear to maximize the front grip for sunny day track riding?? Thanks