Thread: New Bike - 2009 ZX-6R

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    So there is a few Supercorsas. Special Compound (SC) and then a Street variant (SP).

I have spent the night reading around, SC ones are basically slicks with a token tread in them. And the SP's are the ones used on a lot of street bikes. From what I've read, SC's will last a day for a fast rider, the SP's will usually last 4-6000kms.

So for a beginner on a new bike I was thinking SP's.

Quote Originally Posted by Row View Post
    So there is a few Supercorsas. Special Compound (SC) and then a Street variant (SP).
    Yeap despite being the SC a DOT tyre the guys at Pirelli do not recommend them for ROAD use ... need to be +70C to work so realistically need to come off a tyre warmer - I race with the SC and get 3-4 meets out of a front and 2 - 3 out of a rear (depends on track etc) that said I ride a smaller bike 696 monster - BUT you can pick up cast offs for $0 - $50 with a track day in them

Come up to Morgan Park on the 14th May and I'll bring you up a couple (or twenty)

Quote Originally Posted by Row View Post
    From what I've read, SC's will last a day for a fast rider, the SP's will usually last 4-6000kms.
    The SC will last 5-6 days for a slower rider, or more. You'll be fine with them. If a tyre is built to last 6000 kms, it'll have very little grip. You can't have great grip and super long life.... the two are mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by simonr View Post
    aren't the SP's the road version of the superbike pro and just as bad?
    Yes. They are a great road tyre though, which the Pros can't do

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    Yeap despite being the SC a DOT tyre the guys at Pirelli do not recommend them for ROAD use ... need to be +70C to work so realistically need to come off a tyre warmer - I race with the SC and get 3-4 meets out of a front and 2 - 3 out of a rear (depends on track etc) that said I ride a smaller bike 696 monster - BUT you can pick up cast offs for $0 - $50 with a track day in them

Come up to Morgan Park on the 14th May and I'll bring you up a couple (or twenty)
    I used to run SCs on my road bike (back when I actually owned a road bike....) and the first kilometre was.... ummm.... interesting, particularly on a cold morning. Very little grip, but it only took to the end of my street for them to come good enough. Sweet FA grip in the wet tho! 2 gentle laps on track before getting into them, and they'd be fine, especially in sunny & warm Queensland.

Grab a few from Linden and try them. It's muuuuch better to have grippy tyres that don't last as long than to have rock-hard tyres that last forever but offer very little grip. The racetrack is not designed for maximising tyre life, and if you do want to maximise tyre life, you won't enjoy yourself, which kinda defeats the point. Besides, you'll crash way less often on grippy rubber than hard rubber.
    IMA Thumb Brakes! Shop now

Annitori QS PRO quickshifters Shop now

Superbike Source Racing: 'Like' our page to keep up-to-date with all our racing

Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I used to run SCs on my road bike (back when I actually owned a road bike....) and the first kilometre was.... ummm.... interesting, particularly on a cold morning. Very little grip, but it only took to the end of my street for them to come good enough.
    I live in the Blue Mountains just off the Hwy and use my road bikes for commuting ... so I'll run my old rears but not the fronts ... Get at least a thousand Ks out of a USED rear (cooked up nicely)

My wife has been turning a bunch of my older tyres into "Grass Chairs/Dino Habitats" for her per schoolers

Linden, I'll see you there

Had a look and have no fronts (except for mounted on spare front - still got a bit of life)

Rears have 1x 180/60 and 3x 180/55 2 of them are late (1x55 1x60) 2012 (40th week) so good for the road but 2 hard IMO for the track - so 100% good is the 180x55 1 early 14 1 late 14

Plus the one on the bike at the moment that has done Broadford and MacPark (Left Hand tracks that I was saving for PI / EC Practice day)

so 2 rears yours for the taking - and the other rear I'd want a few bucks for ($100)
    the front maybe 50bucks

BUT there will be HEAPS of other cast offs there

Thread Information