Thread: MA National Grading System Proposal

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Marshy View Post
    I hear ya, Dunno. There's a couple of worthy points in there. The first is grading, and that has to be an MA responsibility. Getting the gradings right makes the sport fairer, more equitable, and ultimately more enjoyable for all.

Secondly, I'm losing count of the number of new racers I've mentored over the last 10 years. Encouraging them to start racing in the first place, then guiding them on what to do, where to go, bike setup, starting technique etc etc.... even posting this: http://tarmactalk.com/forum/showthre...ull=1#post7945

However, it was one of my proteges that stalled on the grid a few years ago, causing a serious accident. Unfortunately, some knowledge can only be gained by practice, and there were no opportunities for practicing race starts. This is where the club needs to step up. The problem is that it's run by a small group of volunteers, and they aren't either receptive to or accessible for making changes.

Even mid-week days at the Creek are horrendously expensive, and with the best will in the world, the club couldn't afford to host such a day. The obvious solution is to have ARDC allocate us our own Private Practice day, the Friday before round 1 in February. Then the changes you and I have suggested (practice starts, lessons from experienced riders etc) could be implemented in a cost-effective way. We should all be requesting a PP from ARDC on that Friday. The club needs to be presented with a proposal to consider and implement. What can we suggest as a proposal for a dedicated bike-only private practice on the day before round 1 (if we can get that day)?
    Spot on. Bike only practice days would be great.

Quote Originally Posted by Linden View Post
    Dunno

Back when Moses was a boy and I started racing a couple of things prevented bad start incidents

1) Push start
    2) Low power (without launch control and sticky tyres)
    3) Lower cost / more races - could do more rounds etc so slightly smaller grids - 10 years ago MCRC used to do $110 race days at Oran Park
    It's not all about the starts Linden. If you ever hit the deck during a race, you'd have some confidence knowing the riders behind you were capable of avoiding you. Like the Speedway guys who have to demonstrate they can lay the bike over at speed.

Those MCRC days were more than 10 years ago mate. Where does the time go?????

Forgot to mention I like your proposal to MA regarding grading Marshy. I actually don't care too much about the fine detail as any sort of logic will be an improvement on what we currently have and save endless bitching and moaning!

I also agree that a bike only ARDC practice day before a race weekend is a no brainer, the cars have it and we easily get enough numbers to make it profitable for them.
    2017 Suzuki GSXR1000 & 1991 Honda CBR250RR
    Team GASD Racing
    Sponsored by: GASD, ASR Wealth Advisers, MYM Consulting, Woolich, Cutting Edge Motorcycle Paint Shop, ASBG, HELD Australia, JW Moto Parts, Canberra Motorcycle Centre, Suzuki

Thread Information