I've recently built a new racebike for the 2013 season (well, two actually - the wet bike will feature later), and I thought it might be interesting to show the process from buying a wreck at auction to turning it into a racebike.

Won the auction! Paid waaaay too much, but really wanted the bike because it was the right year model/compliance plate for St George's clubsport 600 class, while still hopefully being semi-competitive against the latest machinery. It also looked virtually undamaged in the photos (this was a Pickles new e-salvage auction where you couldn't view the bikes in person). Looks perfect in the photos, low kays so hopefully the engine is fresh, although it'll need a new stator cover.

Get the bike home and give it a quick wash. Looks good!

So let's replace that alternator cover and see how she runs! Uh-oh.........

That's not good.....

By now I've realised that the stator casing is a single piece of alloy that includes the entire engine block. I get some advice that tells me it's a $2k fix, and I'd be probably better off getting a whole replacement engine. I'm just gonna slink off and have a little cry. Beware of buying at auction, people!!!