Thread: Coaching

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Coaching

There a few different companies offering coaching/training/cult membership. Who's tried what? What's the verdict?
    Some of them are pretty expensive, 4 times the price of an ARDC day! Assuming you were already going to the track regularly, is it worth the cash?

My first time on track was pretty early on in my bike career so I opted to start out with level 1&2 of California Superbike School. I found the format pretty useful. Outside of what was actually taught, the coaches picked up on a lot of bad habits and I felt I progressed leaps and bounds over the two days. The content seemed good too, basically they give you one thing to do on the bike at a time.. So, first session you can only use 1 gear (4th on a 4cyl 600) and no brakes. This meant all of your attention was focused on the throttle, their number one rule.
    The days progress like that, adding new things once you've done the previous stage which is why they make you do the different levels in order.
    Some people come out of CSS a bit evangelistic about the whole thing, preaching that it's the only way to ride. The coaches and even Keith Code tho, seem absolutely open to there being other ways to ride, coach and improve.
    So, who's had good or bad coaching experiences out there?

The best experience I had at CSS was actually being instructed to leave the track. I was told I was about to high-side due to adding throttle and lean angle at the same time. Yikes, Thanks!
    The worst experience was an instructor whizzing past and slapping his tail, to follow him, before he promptly grabbed a handful of throttle and high-sided (instructor bikes never been crashed, my arse!). Broke his collar bone and shoulder...

Overall, I learned a lot more than I would have at 2 ride days so i feel it was worth it. It also gave me the info on what I 'should' be doing.
    Being a bit further down the road now, and knowing what I 'should' be doing... Is the money better spent on track time, then analysing where it's going wrong on camera or data logger??
    Last edited by Turbo; 30-06-2014 at 09:46 PM.
    Skywalker - 2017 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62
    Red Baron - 2013 BMW S1000RR FOZ/Unlimited/Bears Race Bike #62

Thread Information