Quote Originally Posted by No_Style View Post
Okay, so just to make sure I'm following you 100% here, you are talking about changing the timing of the intake cam relative to the exhaust cam by using an adjustable cam gear on the end of the camshaft (does it actually mature which camshaft the adjustable gear goes on to?).
Yes, that's right. And you change both cam wheels; the one on each camshaft. You can buy them in a kit of two from various places (Graves is one). They are not that exxy either ($150ish, from memory, for the Graves). I've got some sitting at home, waiting for inspiration.

To be even more specific, you are saying it is in widening (increasing) the Lobe Seperation Angle that gives the gains. In that case, that's a relatively easy and cheap mod to do myself if I get a timing wheel and a dial gauge to calculate lobe centers (and a thousand hours to pull the engine out of the bike). Now my million dollar question, how much of an increase in LSA? (and/or what absolute number in terms of crankshaft degrees should one aim for?)
Fuck knows. That really is the million dollar question, and that's why my cam wheels are still sitting, unopened, on the bench in the workshop. Many, many hours googling has revealed a few choice details about OEM measurements, but still nowhere near enough to risk my engine.....

Is there much to be gained from different cam profiles? (i.e. changing valve opening and closing rates and durations etc, and just setting aside the fact that this would be a significantly more expensive mod).
Not as I understand it. Certainly not enough to justify all the additional expense (you need valve springs etc too) plus the higher wear rates and significantly higher failure risk. But I guess if you are after every last pony, then you'd do this too. I wouldn't bother for club racing.

On the intake side, what are most people doing, just replacing the filter with a higher flow element or are they actually changing/modifying the entire filter box?
AFAIK just changing the filter to an aftermarket one. That's certainly all I've heard about. Anyone else know any different?